This comprehensive textbook provides a broad reveiw of kidney diseases with regards to symptoms, investigation and treatment. It deals with a variety of clinical entities like glomerulonephritis, kidney stones, hypertension, urinary infection and renal failure. The in-depth chapters deal with dialysis and kidney transplantation as well as renal therapeutics which are currently practiced — the latest combed from a broad range of medical journals, distilled and combined with the author's own experience and practice in nephrology since 1975 when he first embarked on his career as a kidney specialist.
This third edition has 7 new chapters reflecting the latest changes in nephrological practice, totalling 35 chapters as compared to the last edition of 27 chapters.
The new chapters include recent clinical trials, aging kidneys, cardiorenal syndrome, the geography and evolution of glomerulonephritis, IgA nephritis — a distinct Glomerular disease, acute poisoning and research in kidney diseases. These updated topics will allow the reader to keep abreast of the latest trends in nephrology, with abstract/summaries included for easy reference to the original text/articles.
Written in a clear and concise style, this invaluable textbook serves as a practical guide for medical students, doctors, nurses and other medical and paramedical personnel in kidney diseases.
- Structure and Function
- Symptoms and Signs in Renal Medicine
- Renal Investigations
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- IgA Nephropathy: Discovery of a Distinct Glomerular Disorder
- Pathogenesis and Therapy of IgA Nephritis
- The Geography and Evolution of Glomerulonephritis
- Clinical Trials and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Sex and the Kidney
- Hypertension and the Kidney
- The Cardiorenal Syndromes
- Kidney Stones
- Diabetes Mellitus and the Kidney
- Fluid and Electrolytes
- Acid-Base Balance
- Clinical Problems on Fluids, Electrolytes and Acid-Base Balance
- Renal Tubular Acidosis
- Renal Tubular Disorders
- Systemic Disease and the Kidney
- Pregnancy and the Kidney
- Cancer and the Kidney
- Inherited Kidney Diseases
- Drugs and the Kidney
- Acute Kidney Injury (Acute Renal Failure)
- Chronic Renal Failure
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Renal Transplantation
- The Aging Kidneys
- Research in Kidney Diseases
Readership: Medical undergraduates, doctors, and nurses in nephrology.
Keng Thye Woo (Singapore General Hospital, Singapore & National University of Singapore, Singapore)