Recently, chemical, physical, and mechanical processes for the fabrication of metal/alloy-ceramic nanocomposites with a unique microstructure have been developed. These processes permit the control of microstructural properties such as the size of pore openings, surfaces properties, and the nature of the base metal/alloy. This book presents information about the structure and characteristics of new dental nanomaterials, corrosion behavior of metallic biomaterials and implants as well as methods of surface improvement of implants by means of nanoengineering, which decides the biocompatibility of the insert. It thoroughly explains the osseointegration from a biological viewpoint and early tissue response.
- Highlights the enhanced properties of the nanomaterials and discusses the great potential of many bionanomaterials studied so far
- Presents contributions by scientists and physicians, thoroughly covering both mechanical aspects of biomaterials and their medical applications
- Includes an extensive bibliography for further reading
Table of Contents
- Stomatognathic System
- Corrosion of Metallic Biomaterials and Implants
- Nanostructured Stainless Steels
- Ti-Based Ceramic Nanocomposities
- Shape Memory TiNi Materials
- Surface Treatment of Ti-Based Nanomaterials
- Carbon Materials
- Nanomaterials in Preventive Dentistry
- Osteoblast Behavior on Nanostructured Implant Materials
- Application of Bulk Nanostructured Materials in Dentistry
Mieczyslaw Jurczyk is a professor of materials science and engineering, the director of the Institute of Materials Science and Engineering at Poznan University of Technology, Poland, and head of the Division of Functional Nanomaterials. Jurczyk is the principal researcher in various research programs related to nanomaterials. In recent years, his research activity has been connected with two topics: (i) advanced nanomaterials for storage of hydrogen and (ii) advanced bionanomaterials and bionanocomposites for medical applications. He is the author of 250 scientific publications and 4 books.