- Currently there are no books solely available on DNA repair mechanisms and Cancer Stem Cells
- This information can be used by academic institutions, pharmaceutical companies, medical professionals, government and biotechnology companies to aid in the drug discovery process against cancer stem cells
- Experts in the fields of stem cells, cancer biology and DNA repair have come together to share their cutting edge knowledge on how to design drugs against these drug resistant cells Included is a chapter on how to screen for drugs to kill Cancer Stem Cells and attack their efficient DNA repair mechanisms
- Wonderful text to teach from for an upper level college or graduate level classes on rational drug design
The existence of ‘cancer stem cells’ (CSCs) has been a topic of heated debate for the last few years within the field of cancer biology. Their continuous characterization in a variety of solid tumors has lead to an abundance of evidence supporting their existence. CSCs are believed to be responsible for resistance against conventional treatment regimes of chemotherapy and radiation, ultimately, leading to metastasis and patient demise.
To help aid clinicians, pharmaceutical companies and academic labs investigating how to better kill these highly aggressive cells we have summarized the DNA repair mechanism(s) and their role in the maintenance and regulation of both normal and cancer stem cells. Our book represents a comprehensive investigation into the highly effective DNA repair mechanisms of CSCs and what we need to understand in order to develop more advanced therapies to eradicate them from patients. Currently, there are no other published works entirely on DNA repair and Cancer Stem Cells. In addition, our book provides a comprehensive overview of CSC isolation and characterization from a variety of solid tumor types.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » Cancer Stem Cells - DNA Repair - Drug Resistance - Tumor Initiating Cells - qHTS Screening
Related subjects » Biomedical Sciences - Cancer Research - Life Sciences - Molecular Medicine
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Cancer stem cells.
- Chapter 2: DNA Repair Pathways and Mechanisms.
- Chapter 3: Resistance and DNA repair mechanisms of cancer stem cells: Potential molecular targets for therapy.
- Chapter 4: DNA Repair in Normal Stem Cells.
- Chapter 5: DNA Repair Mechanisms in Glioblastoma Cancer Stem Cells.
- Chapter 6: DNA Repair Mechanisms in Breast Cancer Stem Cells.
- Chapter 7: DNA Repair Mechanisms in other Cancer Stem Cell models.
- Chapter 8: Pancreatic cancer stem cells in tumor progression, metastasis, epithelial-mesenchymal transition and DNA repair.
- Chapter 9: Targeting Cancer Stem Cell Efficient DNA Repair Pathways: Screening for new therapeutics.
- Chapter 10: The Future of DNA Repair and Cancer Stem Cells.