Post- laryngectomy rehabilitation has generated tremendous interest in recent times owing to the development of innovative prosthetic devices and other appliances aimed at making life more comfortable for the laryngectomee. This book addresses not only the very essential function of voice rehabilitation, but also other equally important aspects such as pulmonary, olfactory and psycho-social rehabilitation as well as quality-of-life issues after laryngectomy.
With more and more ENT, head and neck surgeons performing laryngectomies on a regular basis, this book aims to provide both the trainees and practicing surgeons a comprehensive and practical guide to the total rehabilitation of these patients.
About the Author
Dr Umanath Nayak, a consultant head and neck surgeon at the Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad has been at the forefront of post-laryngectomy rehabilitation in india. An alumnus of the kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, he trained in head and neck surgery at the Kidwai Memorail Institute of Oncology, Bangalore and the U.C. Davis Medical Center, California. He has twice been awarded the UICC fellowship for his projects related to rehabilitation in head and neck cancer.
Dr Rehan Kazi is a head, neck cancer surgeon/scientist who has trained and worked at the best cancer centres including the Institute of Cancer Research, UK and maria Sklodowska Curies Memorial Institute, Poland. He is particularly involved in the research and development of voice restoration following laryngectomy (his multi-award winning PhD work), rehabilitation and quality-of-life issues in cancer patients. He is presently attached as Research Team Leader (Rehab and Outcomes) and Honorary Lecturer of the Head, Neck Unit at the Royal Marsden, NHS , London.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by ERIC D BLOM
- Foreword by FRANS J M HILGERS
- Evolution of voice restoration and the tracheo-oesophageal voice prostheses
- Primary tracheo-oesophageal voice restoration
- Secodary tracheo-oesophageal voice restoration
- Surgical voice restoration after surgery for hypopharyngeal cancer
- Prosthetic tracheo-oesophageal voice restoration : Assessment and selection criteria
- Selecting the right voice prosthesis
- Problems and complications arising from surgical voice restoration
- Biofilm : Its information and prevention on silicone rubber voice prostheses
- Swallowing after total laryngectomy
- Pulmonary rehabilitation after total laryngectomy
- The role of the laryngectomee club in post-laryngectomy rehabilition
- Newer development and concepts