In this volume of Developments in Ophthalmology, a panel of renowned glaucoma surgeons reports its findings and the updated evidence-based literature data on indications, outcomes, pearls and pitfalls of techniques in which they all have an undisputable ‘hands-on’ everyday experience.
The publication begins with chapters on conventional procedures, i.e. trabeculectomy (still the gold standard), deep sclerectomy, and glaucoma drainage device implantation explicitly focusing on postoperative management. The role of the ocular surface in glaucoma surgery and the issue of wound healing and its modulation through antimetabolites are further discussed. In the second part, the attention shifts to new techniques which still have a marginal role, but are promising for particular indications. In the last part, the greatest challenges of glaucoma surgery such as the surgical approach to angle closure, concomitant glaucoma and cataract as well as pediatric glaucoma are discussed in detail. Finally, the last chapter is dedicated to cyclodestructive techniques.
This volume is recommended to glaucoma surgeons and glaucoma specialists seeking information on the best therapy for their patients, but also to general ophthalmologists who refer their patients for surgery or follow them up afterwards.
Table of Contents
- Title Page / Table of Contents / List of Contributors / Preface
- Enhanced Trabeculectomy – The Moorfields Safer Surgery System
Khaw, P.T. ; Chiang, M. ; Shah, P. ; Sii, F. ; Lockwood, A. ; Khalili, A.
- Deep Sclerectomy
Roy, S. ; Mermoud, A.
- Glaucoma Drainage Implant Surgery
Aref, A.A. ; Gedde, S.J. ; Budenz, D.L.
- Postoperative Management of Penetrating and Nonpenetrating External Filtering Procedures
- Ocular Surface and External Filtration Surgery: Mutual Relationships
- Wound Healing and Glaucoma Surgery: Modulating the Scarring Process with Conventional Antimetabolites and New Molecules
- Mini-Drainage Devices: The Ex-PRESS Mini-Glaucoma Device
Rouse, J.M. ; Sarkisian, Jr., S.R.
- Laser-Assisted Techniques for Penetrating and Nonpenetrating Glaucoma Surgery
Geffen, N. ; Assia, E.I. ; Melamed, S.
- Ab externo Schlemm’s Canal Surgery: Viscocanalostomy and Canaloplasty
- Ab interno Schlemm’s Canal Surgery: Trabectome and I-Stent
Francis, B.A. ; Winarko, J.
- Surgical Treatment of Angle-Closure Glaucoma
Chew, P. ; Sng, C. ; Aquino, M.C. ; See, J.
- Management of Concomitant Cataract and Glaucoma
Marchini, G. ; Ceruti, P. ; Vizzari, G.
- Surgical Management of Pediatric Glaucoma
Ou, Y. ; Caprioli, J.
- When Should We Give Up Filtration Surgery: Indications, Techniques and Results of Cyclodestruction
Huang, G. ; Lin, S.C.
- Subject Index