ABOUT THIS BOOK
The book contains 48 articles presented at the 11th International Conference on Cerebral Vasospasm held in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, in July 2011. This collection of papers represents a cross-section of the enormous progress that has been made towards a thorough understanding and effective treatment of neurovascular events following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, including cerebral vasospasm. It is of interest to clinicians who wish to apply state-of-the-art knowledge to their management of this devastating condition and to basic scientists wishing to expand their understanding of cerebrovascular and neural pathophysiology related to subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » cerebral vasospasm - endovascular management - neurocritical care - subarachnoid hemorrhage
Related subjects » Surgery
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CLINICAL TRIALS AND DILEMMAS:
- History and definition of delayed cerebral ischemia.
- Clinical, transcranial Doppler ultrasound, radiological features and prognostic significance of delayed cerebral ischemia.
- Identifying patient report outcomes relevant to aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage follow-up.
- Global cerebral atrophy after subarachnoid hemorrhage: A possible marker of acute brain injury and assessment of its impact on outcome.
- Protein biomarkers in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage, vasospasm and delayed ischemic neurological deficits.
- Randomized trial of clazosentan, an endothelin receptor antagonist, in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage undergoing surgical clipping (CONSCIOUS-2).
- Angiographic vasospasm versus cerebral infarction as outcome measures after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Development of Nicardipine prolonged-release implants after clipping for preventing cerebral vasospasm: From laboratory to clinical trial.
- Magnesium sulphate for aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: Why, how, and current controversy.
- Prolonged intravenous infusion of sodium nitrite delivers nitric oxide (NO) in healthy volunteers.
- Special article: Proposed mechanism of cerebral vasospasm: Our hypothesis and current topics.
- Monitoring of cerebral hemodynamics and oxygenation to detect delayed ischemic neurological deficit after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage:
- Usefulness of three dimensional computed tomography to quantify the subarachnoid hemorrhage volume: Prediction of symptomatic vasospasm.
- A platform for multimodal monitoring, data collection and research in neurocritical care.
- Transcranial Doppler as a routine in the treatment of vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Systemic interleukin-6 levels reflect illness course and prognosis of patients with spontaneous nonanueyrsmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Beneficial effect of selective intra-arterial infusion of fasudil hydrochloride as a treatment of symptomatic vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage.
SURGICAL AND ENDOVASCULAR MANAGEMENT:
- Removal of clots in subarachnoid space could reduce the vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Effect of lumbar puncture in patients with neurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage treated microsurgically or endovascularly.
- Effect of aneurysm treatment modalities on cerebral vasospasm after neurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Endovascular management of post-hemorrhagic cerebral vasospasm: Indications, technical nuances and results.
- The concept of a hybrid operation room: Applications in cerebrovascular surgery. Computerized occlusion rating of embolized ruptured intracranial aneurysms: Relation to intra- and postinterventional aneurysm rehemorrhage.
- Spreading ischemia after aneurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Full-band electrocorticography of spreading depolarizations in patients with neurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Cerebral glucose and spreading depolarization in patients with neurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Evaluation of intracranial electrocorticography recording strips and tissue partial pressure of oxygen and temperature probes for radiofrequency induced heating.
- Criteria for the diagnosis of non-infectious and infectious complications after neurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Neurovascular coupling during spreading depolarizations.
NEUROVASCULAR COUPLING AND MICROVASCULATURE:
- Subarachnoid blood converts neurally evoked vasodilation to vasoconstriction in rat brain cortex.
- Impact of subarachnoid hemorrhage on parenchymal arteriolar function.
- SAH-induced suppression of voltage-gated K+ (Kv) channel currents in parenchymal arteriolar myocytes involves activation of the HB-EGF/EGFR pathway.
- Mechanisms of microthrombosis and microcirculatory constriction after experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Cerebral hemodynamic and metabolic effects of remote ischemic preconditioning in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Cerebral microvasculature is an early target of subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- The roles of early brain injury in cerebral vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage: From clinical and scientific aspects.
- Matricellular protein: A new player in cerebral vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Role of platelet-derived growth factor in cerebral vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage in rats.
- Relevance of animal models of subarachnoid hemorrhage for examining neurobehavioral changes.
- Inflammation in subarachnoid hemorrhage and delayed deterioration associated with vasospasm: A review.
- Attenuation of cerebral vasospasm following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage by the bronchodilator KMUP-3.
- Pharmacologic reduction of angiographic vasospasm in experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage: Systematic review.
- Low-dose lipopolysaccharide injection prior to subarachnoid hemorrhage modulates delayed deterioration associated with vasospasm in subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Statin induced T-lymphocyte modulation and neuroprotection following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Role of bilirubin oxidation products in the pathophysiology of DIND following SAH.
- Association of morphologic and demographic features of intracranial aneurysms with their rupture: A retrospective analysis.
- Location, interaction and anticipation of aneurysm formation.
- Symptomatic vasospasm in elderly patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: Comparison with non-elderly patients.