ABOUT THIS BOOK
The method is new and has gained great interest in the literature .- The book will focus on one particular topic .- Contributions of best experts in the field
The work describes a new method of sphincter salvage in surgery of rectal cancer. Low tumors of the rectum are traditionally treated with amputation of the rectum. However, this operation is not well-received by patients, since it results in a permanent colostomy. By contrast, intersphincteric resection allows sphincter salvage even in low tumors and is now widely accepted among experts in the field of colorectal surgery. The book will describe the basics (pathology,physiology, radiology) as well as the surgical technique and its different modifications.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » intersphincteric resection - laparoscopic rectal surgery - low rectal tumors - rectal cancer - sphincter salvage
Related subjects » Oncology & Hematology - Radiology - Surgery
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Preoperative diagnostic procedures: Pathology of rectal cancer
- MRT for staging
- Preoperative therapeutic options: Preoperative chemoradiotherapy
- Rectal surgery: Surgical anatomy of the pelvis
- Basics of rectal cancer surgery
- Development of intersphincteric resection
- Surgical technique of ISR
- Laparoscopic technique
- Experience in France
- Modification of ISR
- Our technique of ISR
- Experience in Japan
- Experience in China
- Experience in Germany
- Sphincter restoration after APR
- Laparoscopic ISR .
- ISR with reconstruction of the internal sphincter .
- Quality of life after very low rectal resections .
- Do we need a pouch for reconstruction?
AUTHORS & EDITORS
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Rudolf Schiessel, Director of Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Surgical Oncology, Vienna
Univ.-Doz. Dr. Peter Metzger, Oberarzt, Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Ost - Donauspital, Vienna