This publication identifies and discusses important challenges affecting eHealth in the EU and North America in the three areas of law, ethics and governance. It makes meaningful contributions to the eHealth discourse, by suggesting solutions and making recommendations for good practice and potential ways ahead. Legal challenges discussed include issues related to electronic medical records, telemedicine, the Internet and pharmaceutical drugs, healthcare information systems and medical liability. Ethical challenges focus on telehealth and service delivery in the home, Web2.0 and the Internet, patient perceptions and ethical frameworks. Governance challenges focus on IT governance in healthcare, governance and decision-making in acute hospitals, and different models of eHealth governance. The publication provides useful support materials and readings for persons active in developing current understandings of the legal, ethical and governance challenges operating in the eHealth context.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Assessing Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges in eHealth.
- Legal Challenges: Electronic Health Records and Privacy Interests.
- Legal Regulations on Electronic Patient Records: A Prerequisite or Unavoidable By-product?
- Data Protection and Health Care Information Systems: Where is the Balance?
- Legal Challenges Regarding Telemedicine Services.
- The Internet and Pharmaceutical Drugs in the Era of Interoperable eHealth Systems Across in EU: Legal Challenges Ahead.
- Liability Issues in Relation to eHealth.
- Ethical Challenges: eHealth: Frameworks for Assessing Ethical Impacts.
- Telehealth and Service Delivery in the Home: Challenges for and Changes in Ethical Perspectives.
- Web 2.0: Ethical Challenges for the Health Profession.
- Internet and Health: Who is Responsible for Ethics and Quality?
- Patients Perceptions eHealth.
- Longitudinal Study of eHealth Governance.
- IT Governance in Health Care.
- A Governance Framework for the Adoption of Information Technology in Acute Healthcare Delivery.
- European eHealth Governance
- A New Way Forward.
- Reflecting on Current and Possible Future Challenges.