The state-of-the-art full-colored handbook gives in six volumes a comprehensive introduction to the principles and the practice of calculation, layout and understanding of optical systems and lens design. Written by reputed industrial experts in the field the user is introduced to the basic properties of optical systems, aberration theory, classification and characterization of systems, advanced simulation models, measuring of system quality and manufacturing issues. More than 3,000 full-colored illustrations and images support the reader and supply an easy understanding of complex optical systems and optical modeling.
- Volume 1: Fundamentals of Technical Optics
- Volume 2: Physical Image Formation
- Volume 3: Aberration Theory and Correction of Optical Systems
- Volume 4: Survey of Optical Instruments
- Volume 5: Metrology of Optical Components and Systems
- Volume 6: Advances Physical Optics
In this volume
Volume 2 continues the introduction given in volume 1 with the more advanced texts about the foundations of image formation. Emphasis is placed on an intuitive while theoretically exact presentation. Totally more 400 color graphs and selected references on the end of each chapter support this undertaking.
Table of contents
Volume 2: Physical Image Formation
- 17. The Wave Equation.
- 18. Scalar Diffraction.
- 19. Interference and Coherence.
- 20. The Geometrical Optical Description and Incoherent Imaging.
- 21. The Abbe Theory of Imaging.
- 22. Coherence Theory of Optical Imaging.
- 23. Three Dimensional Imaging.
- 24. Image Examples of Selected Objects.
- 25. Special System Examples and Applications.
- 26. Polarization.
- 27. Vector Diffraction.
- 28. Polarization and Optical Imaging.
- A1. Mathematical Appendix