- Unique resource for those looking to establish high impact research centers or units
- Provides a historical account of the rationale, protocol development, implementation, and communication of a range of HIV prevention and treatment clinical trials conducted by CAPRISA
- Highlights the innovative designs and measurement tools used by CAPRISA clinical trials
Since its inception 14 years ago, CAPRISA has conducted numerous clinical studies that have influenced international TB-HIV treatment guidelines as well as HIV prevention through innovations in the microbicide and vaccine fields. This book provides a historical account of how each of CAPRISA’s high impact studies was created, developed, implemented, analysed and communicated. In doing so, the reader is taken on a journey that provides glimpses into the genesis of research ideas and how this ultimately leads to a range of HIV prevention and treatment studiesthat have impacted the global response to the HIV and TB epidemics.
Comprised of 5 sections, the book details the following:
- HIV epidemic in South Africa and the establishment of a research centre to undertakeclinical, epidemiological and laboratoryresearchon HIV.
- CAPRISA’sclinicaltrialson HIV and HSV-2 prevention. Thesestudiesinvestigatedtheimpact of tenofovir gel as topical antiretroviral pre-exposureprophylaxis (PrEP), implementation of topicalPrEPthroughfamilyplanningclinics, conditional cash incentives for HIV prevention, HIV vaccines, and passiveimmunisationwithbroadlyneutralisingantibodies.
- CAPRISA’sresearchonthetreatment of HIV and TB co-infection.
- A review of themajorscientificfindingsfromthe CAPRISA studiesonacuteinfection and genital mucosalimmunology.
- Essentialsupportactivitiesfortheconduct of clinicaltrials, includingresearchlaboratories and pharmacies, as well as establishingeffectivecommunication and sustainablestructuresforcommunityengagement to maintaineffective and respectfulpartnershipswithparticipatingcommunities. Thebookconcludeswith a chapteraboutthechallengesfacingfuture HIV prevention and treatmenttrials.
The CAPRISA Clinical Trials: HIV Treatment and Prevention is a resource for undergraduate and postgraduate students, health care providers, doctors, decision-makers and researchers who are seeking guidance and insights on clinical trials – their creation, conduct and impact.
Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (CAPRISA); Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, USA
Salim S. Abdool Karim, Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (CAPRISA); Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, USA
Cheryl Baxter, Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (CAPRISA)