ABOUT THIS BOOK
- Up-to-date guide to clinical diagnosis and management of orofacial pain
- Edited and written by cross-section of experts, including pain physicians, oral medicine specialists, and anesthesiologists
- All common or important acute and chronic conditions
- Guidance on classification
- Detailed instructions on proper history-taking and appropriate physical examinations and diagnostic tests
This is a practical guide to the evidence-based diagnosis and management of orofacial pain. It covers common clinical presentations of acute and chronic orofacial pain and summarizes clinically relevant neurobiology.
Because diagnosing orofacial pain can be a challenge, the book describes the appropriate history-taking methods, detailed examinations, and relevant tests that will help clinicians to work through the differential diagnosis. Effective medical, surgical, and behavioral approaches are presented, and the importance of a multimodal approach is consistently emphasized throughout the book. The target audience includes pain physicians, anesthesiologists, dentists, neurologists, nurse practitioners, and physician’s assistants.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » headache - orofacial pain - temporomandibular disorder - trigeminal neuralgia
Related subjects » Dentistry - Medicine - Neurology
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The Neurobiology of Orofacial Pain.- 2. Oral Health Related Quality of Life and Facial Pain.- 3. Classification and Epidemiology of Orofacial Pain.- 4. Nociceptive Chemical Mediators In Oral Inflammation.- 5. Dental Sleep Medicine and the Use of Oral Devices.- 6. Local Anesthesia in the Orofacial Region.- 7. Analgesics and adjuvants for the management of orofacial pain across age groups.- 8. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in Pain Management.- 9. Management of Oral Ulcers and Burning Mouth Syndrome.- 10. Hypnosis and Biofeedback for Orofacial Pain Management.- 11. Headaches, Migraine and Cluster Headache.- 12. Management of Orofacial Neuropathic Pain.- 13. Preemptive Analgesia and Multimodal Pain Management for Temporomandibular Total Joint Replacement Surgery.