Algorithms serve an important purpose in the field of psychopharmacology as heuristics for avoiding the biases and cognitive lapses that are common when prescribing for many conditions whose treatment is based on complex data. Unique in the field, this title compiles twelve papers from the Psychopharmacology Algorithm Project at the Harvard South Shore Psychiatry Residency Training Program and presents practical ways to adopt evidence-based practices into the day-to-day treatment of patients. Psychopharmacology Algorithms is a useful resource for practicing psychiatrists, residents, and fellows, as well as psychiatric nurse practitioners, psychiatric physician assistants who prescribe, advanced practice pharmacists who prescribe, and primary care clinicians. Teachers of psychopharmacology may find it particularly valuable. Researchers in clinical psychopharmacology may find it helpful in identifying important practice areas that are in need of further study.
- Contains ten updated psychopharmacology treatment algorithms designed to assist with the clinical use of psychiatric medications, each complete with extensive critical evaluation of the evidence supporting the rationales for each treatment step and the advantages and disadvantages of various alternatives to the recommended treatments.
- Provides introductory material explaining the usefulness of algorithms as clinical tools and how to make best use of the algorithms in the book.
- Papers focusing on inpatient psychopharmacology, and on residency training in psychopharmacology using the algorithms are included
- Annual updates to the accompanying eBook are planned.
- Prepared by David N. Osser, MD, general editor of the Psychopharmacology Algorithm Project at the Harvard South Shore Program and its website psychopharm.mobi, Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and an editorial board member of several psychiatric and psychopharmacology journals and the Model Curriculum for Psychopharmacology of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology.
Enrich Your eBook Reading Experience
- Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.