Essentials of Pediatric Nursing, Fourth Edition, helps students develop the clinical reasoning capability to confidently meet the unique challenges of caring for children and their families in a wide variety of healthcare settings. Utilizing the nursing process, a concise, concept-based approach makes relevant information accessible and builds students’ understanding progressively from concept to application. Rather than repeating medical-surgical content previously mastered, the text builds upon students’ prior knowledge, establishing an understanding of broad concepts before cultivating students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Covering a wide scope of relevant topics with an emphasis on common issues and pediatric-specific content, Essentials of Pediatric Nursing focuses on conceptual learning to help you make the most of your class time and ensure that your students are equipped for a successful career in pediatric nursing care. This updated edition introduces new Unfolding Case Studies and Clinical Reasoning Alerts that encourage discussion and clinical decision-making, as well as new Practice and Learn Growth and Development Case Studies and Skill-based Pediatric Videos on thePoint that guide students through commonly encountered scenarios and applications to equip them for the rigors of pediatric practice.
- NEW! Clinical Reasoning Alerts promote critical thinking in the nursing process and strengthen students’ clinical reasoning.
- NEW!Unfolding Patient Stories, written by the National League for Nursing, foster meaningful reflection on commonly encountered clinical scenarios.
- Atraumatic Care sections throughout deliver helpful tips for providing atraumatic care to children in relevant situations.
- Take Note! features alert students to especially critical information in each chapter.
- Consider This! prompts engage students in commonly encountered real-life scenarios to enhance their critical thinking and clinical reasoning.
- Thinking About Development boxes highlight relevant special development concerns.
- Healthy People 2030 boxes help students connect pediatric nursing practices to the achievement of these objectives.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes familiarize students with recent evidence-based research findings and related recommendations for practice.
- Teaching Guidelines equip students to effectively educate children and their families about various pediatric nursing issues.
- Drug Guides enable fast reference of actions, indications and significant nursing implications for commonly used medications in pediatric care.
- Common Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests and Common Medical Treatments tables guide students through the diagnostic process and detail common medical or surgical treatments for a broad range of disorders.
- Nursing Procedures provide step-by-step guidance for pediatric variations on common nursing procedures.
- Concept Mastery Alerts clarify pediatric nursing concepts and improve students’ understanding of potentially confusing topics identified by Lippincott® PrepU adaptive learning data.
- Developing Clinical Judgment sections coach students to apply clinical judgment to specific chapter concepts and scenarios.
- Practicing for NCLEX NCLEX-RN®-style review questions strengthen students’ exam readiness and highlight areas needing further review.
- NEW! 15 Practice and Learn Growth and Development Case Studies on thePoint provide essential practice evaluating the appropriate course of action for real-life clinical scenarios.
- NEW! 15 Skill-based Pediatric Videos available on thePoint clarify key concepts and skills in growth and development, communicating with children and providing nursing care to the child in the hospital.