Designed as a true introduction to the subject, Essentials of Pharmacoeconomics: Health Economics and Outcomes Research, ThirdEdition includes information on fundamental topics, defines terminology, and provides examples for evaluating published research, making it perfect for any pharmacy student or practitioner new to the topic.
This updated edition provides the critical foundations of knowledge for measuring costs and health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL) and evaluating the four types of studies (CMA, CEA, CUA, and CBA); it also explains Markov and Budget Impact Analysis modeling, and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of using retrospective databases and real-world data (RWD). Additionally, the text summarizes the use of pharmacoeconomic evaluations by decision makers outside of the United States and the extent to which pharmacoeconomic data are used to make decisions in the United States, includes barriers to its use, and discusses future issues. All of this information is designed to ensure preparedness to improve clinical and humanistic outcomes based on available resources.
- Updated Composite research articles throughout the text demonstrate how to evaluate the positive and negative aspects found in a mix of published research articles.
- New! Full examples of decision analysis and Markov analysis are available on thePoint.
- Key terms are bolded throughout the textbook, and definitions of these terms are summarized in a glossary. Pharmacoeconomics research uses terminology derived from other disciplines, such as economics, that might not be familiar to all readers.
- Equations readers will need to know are explained using multiple example calculations.
- Questions/Exercises appear at the end of most chapters so that readers can assess their understanding of key concepts. Answers are included at the back of the textbook.
- References and Suggested Readings at the end of each chapter provide resources available to the reader for further study on the chapter topic.
- eBook available. Fast, smart, and convenient, today’s eBooks can transform learning. These interactive, fully searchable tools offer 24/7 access on multiple devices, the ability to highlight and share notes, and much more.