This book focuses on specific topics in food analysis and preservation investigated in the Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Technology at the University Ioannina, Greece, over the past five years. The book specifically targets consumer protection. Foods are being processed to preserve quality and prevent spoilage caused by physical, chemical, and mostly microbiological agents. In this sense, microbiology is inherently related to food preservation. This book provides invaluable information regarding food substrates, toxicology, nutritional content, microbiology, and more.
Table of Contents
- Determination of DSP Toxins in Mussels and Decontamination Using Ozonation
- Effect of Light on Vitamin Loss and Shelf Life of Pasteurized Milk Packages in PET Bottles
- Differentiation of Greek Extra Virgin Oils According to Cultivar and Geographical Origin
- Effect of Irradiation on the Migration of ATBC Plasticizer from P(VdC-VC) Films Into Fish Fillets
- Evaluation of Bag-in-Box as Packaging Material for Dry White Wine
- Effect of Ozonation in Combination with Packaging and Refrigeration on Shelf Life Extension of Fresh Tomatoes
- Combined Effect of Essential Oils and Nisin on Shelf-Life Extension of Meat Stored at 4°
- Combined Effect of Essential Oils and Nisin on the Survival of Listeria
- Shelf-Life Extension of Ground Meat, Stored at 4°: Using Chitosan and an Oxygen Absorber
- Control of E. coli O157:H7 in Stirred Yogurt Using Mastic and Almond Essential Oils
Michael G. Kontominas, PhD, is Professor in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Ioannina, Greece. He has also worked as a Visiting Scholar at Rutgers University (New Jersey, USA), Michigan State University (USA), and Fraunhofer Institute in Germany, and as Visiting Professor in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cyprus and the University of Patras, Greece. He has published over 150 research articles in peer-reviewed international journals focusing on food analysis, food preservation, food microbiology, and food packaging. In addition, he has co-authored two textbooks on food chemistry and food analysis. He is editor of the journals Food Microbiology and Food and Nutrition Sciences and an editorial board members of several international journals. He also is a consultant to the Greek food and packaging industry.