The chemical and physical principles of fixation, staining, and histochemistry in one volume!
Now in its fourth edition, Histological and Histochemical Methods has been expanded and updated with the latest techniques and developments within the field, whilst retaining the details of the classic techniques still in use. The relations of chemical structures and reactions to fixation, tissue processing, staining, enzyme location, immunohistochemistry and other procedures are explained in simple, descriptive terms.
This book is recommended for lecturers and students in biological and biomedical disciplines using histological and histochemical techniques. Postgraduate researchers will find this to be the ideal laboratory companion, as will medical laboratory technologists preparing for their professional examinations.
1. Introduction to microtechnique
3. Decalcification and other treatments for hard tissues
4. Processing and mounting
6. Histological staining in one or two colours
7. Staining blood and other cell suspensions
8. Methods for connective tissue
9. Methods for nucleic acids
10. Organic functional groups and protein histochemistry
11. Carbohydrate histochemistry
13. Methods for inorganic ions
14. Enzyme histochemistry: general considerations
15. Hydrolytic enzymes
17. Methods for soluble organic compounds of low molecular weight
18. Metal reduction and precipitation methods
20. Miscellaneous data