Speech and language impairments are one of the most challenging features of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Children with ASD are also known to be particularly responsive to music. This book makes a valuable connection between the two traits to showcase music as an effective way of enhancing the speech and language skills of children with ASD.
This is a comprehensive guide to Dr. Hayoung Lim's highly effective approach of using music in speech-language training for children ASD. Part I provides a sound theoretical foundation and employs the most up-to-date research, including the author's own extensive study, to validate the use of music in speech and language training for children with ASD. Part II analyzes the clinical implications of “Developmental Speech- Language Training through Music” (DSLM) protocols and explains in detail specific interventions that can be used with the approach. The practical application of DSLM to Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Verbal Behavior (VB) approaches is also explored.
This is essential reading for music therapists, speech and language pathologists and other professionals working with children with autism, as well as researchers and academics in the field.
"Dr Lim combines her passions for research, education, and clinical practice in the development of an important work: this work is characterized by careful and thorough review of current literature, including review of her own research studies and clinical experiences, and systematic, detailed explanation of suggested treatment protocols."
- from the Foreword by Karen Miller, Director of Music Therapy, Sam Houston State University, Texas, President of the American Music Therapy Association's Southwestern Region and an Assembly Delegate to the American Music Therapy Association
Table of Contents
- Part I. Research.
- 1. Speech and Language Impairments in Children with ASD.
- 2. Perception and Production of Speech in Children with ASD.
- 3. Music Perception and Speech & Language Perception.
- 4. Perception and Production of Music and Speech in Children with ASD.
- 5. The Effect of Music on Speech & Language in Children with ASD.
- Part II. Practice.
- 6. Music Therapy for Speech & Language Development in Children with ASD.
- 7. Clinical Application of Research Study.
- 8. DSLM in Applied Behavior Analysis Verbal Behavior Approach.
- Appendix A. Example of Songs for DSLM.
- Appendix B. Example of Visual Illustration for DSLM.
- Appendix C. Author's Original Study.