This book aims to provide the reader with a complete and concise introduction to rheumatic illness. While rheumatic disease often manifests itself in conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system, the authors stress that a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach is needed for diagnosis, to aid understanding of rheumatic disease with multisystem involvement.
Rheumatology—A Color Handbook covers epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of each condition. Common forms of arthritis (including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout and others) are covered in addition to allied conditions including vasculitis, osteoporosis, lupus and other allied health conditions.
The book is useful for recently qualified physicians/residents, general practitioners, medical students and other healthcare professionals involved in the care of patients with rheumatic disease.
- Coverage ranges from common conditions to the more unusual
- Problem-oriented self-assessment format
- Superb colour illustrations
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to rheumatic conditions
2. A synopsis of immunology in rheumatic disease
3. Assessment of the patient with suspected rheumatic condition
4. Pregnancy in rheumatic diseases
5. Pharmacological treatment of rheumatic disease
6. Non-pharmacological treatment of rheumatic disease
OSTEOARTHRITIS AND INFLAMMATORY ARTHRITIS
8. Rheumatoid arthritis
10. CPPD deposition, pseudogout and chrondorcalcinosis
11. Adult onset Still’s disease
12. Septic arthritis
13. Viral arthritis
14. Lyme disease
15. Rheumatic fever
17. Ankylosing spondylitis
18. Reactive arthritis
19. Psoriatic arthritis
20. Inflammatory bowel disease associated arthritis
22. Behcet’s disease
PEDIATRIC RHEUMATIC CONDITIONS
23. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
24. Hereditary periodic fevers
CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASES
26. Sjögren’s syndrome
27. Systemic lupus erythematosus
28.Drug induced lupus
29. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
30. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis
32. Mixed connective tissue disease and undifferentiated connective tissue disease
33. Relapsing Polychondritis
34. Vasculitis overview and classification
35. Giant cell arteritis
36. Takayasu’s arteritis
37. ANCA associated vasculitis
38. Polyarteritis nodosa
39. Immune complex mediated small vessel vasculitis
40. Kawasaki’s disease
41. Thromboangitis obliterans (Buerger’s disease)
42. Primary angiitis of the central nervous system
OTHER RHEUMATIC CONDITIONS
44. Fibromyalgia and other soft tissue syndromes
47. Miscellaneous rheumatic conditions
Ted R. Mikuls, MD, MSPH Professor, Division of Rheumatology, Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA.
Amy Cannella, MD Assistant Professor, Division of Rheumatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA.
Gerald Moore, MD Professor, Division of Rheumatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA.
James R. O'Dell, MD Professor, Division of Rheumatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA.
Alan R. Erickson, MD Assistant Professor, Division of Rheumatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA.
Geoffrey M. Thiele, PhD Professor, Division of Rheumatology, University of Nebraska, Omaha, USA.