From its humble beginnings in the 1950's as an adaptation of marine sonar systems, echocardiography has recently grown rapidly in its usage and importance. Advanced computer techniques now allow imaging of the heart in many planes through many 'windows'. Each section of this book contains all forms of ultrasound imaging including transesophageal (TOE), intra-operative, epicardial and intravascular as well as the more standard types. The book's purpose is to improve diagnosis of cardiac disease through the use of the latest echocardiographic methods of investigation. It will appeal to physicians in training and in practice, to technicians and radiologists interested in ultrasound.
- Basic Physics. Principles of Doppler.
- The Normal Heart. Standard Transthoracic Imaging Planes. Transoesophageal Echocardiography. Normal Variants.
- Rheumatic Mitral Valve Disease. Complications of Rheumatic Mitral Disease.
- Non-Rheumatic Mitral Valve Disease. Mitral valve surgery.
- Mitral Valve Replacement. Biological Valves. Mechanical Valves.
- Aortic Valve Disease. Aortic Stenosis. Aortic Regurgitation.
- Aortic Valve Replacement.
- Sub- and Supra-Aortic Stenosis. Subaortic Stenosis. Supra-Aortic Stenosis.
- Tricuspid Valve Disease.
- Infective Endocarditis.
- Cardiac Masses. Cardiac Tumours. Extra-Cardiac Tumours. Intracardiac Thrombus.
- Pericardial Disease.
- Thoracic Aortic Dissection.
- Coronary Artery Disease. Acute Myocardial Infarction. Chronic Coronary Artery Disease. Left Ventricular Function in Coronary Heart Disease.
- Cardiomyopathies. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Left Ventricular Hypertrophy.
- Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm.
- Congenital Heart Disease. Ventricular Septal Defect. Atrial Septal Defect. Atrioventricular Septal Defect. Patent Ductus Arteriosus. Pulmonary Stenosis. Tetralogy of Fallot. Truncus Arteriosus. Miscellaneous.