The replacement of a degenerated joint such as the hip and knee is one of the
most outstanding interventions that allows the medical community to restore
the patient's quality of life. However, today's patient is increasingly younger
and more active and this presents a challenge for the orthopaedic community
as a greater demand has been created for a longer lasting artificial joint that
can allow the patient to maintain their lifestyle and thus new approaches in
biotribology have been focused on this area of research.
This invaluable book provides a broad introduction to the boundary conditions, developments and latest research activities already available to the surgeon and offers an insight into solutions being developed for new high performance bearings in joint replacements.
The contributors are leading experts in their field and this is the first complete volume to bring together such unique insights.
Orthopaedic engineers, surgeons and researchers concerned with new biomaterials would find this a vital reference volume to evaluate the latest state of research in the area.
• Bio-Tribological Demands (Robert Sonntag, Joern Reinders and J Philippe
• Evolutionary History of Arthroplasty (Robert Sonntag, Nicholas A Beckmann, Joern Reinders and J Philippe Kretzer)
• In Vitro and In Vivo Wear Evaluation (J Philippe Kretzer, Jörn Reinders, Ulrike Müller, Christian Schröder, Carmen Zietz, Christian Gibney and Robert Sonntag)
• Metal Bearings (Catherine Van Der Straeten)
• Ceramic-on-Ceramic Bearings: Simulator Wear Compared to Clinical Retrieval Data (Ian C Clarke, Jean Y Lazennec, Evert J Smith, Nobuhiko Sugano, Bryan J McEntire and Giuseppe Pezzotti)
• Crosslinked Polyethylene (Ebru Oral and Orhun K Muratoglu)
• Non-Oxide Ceramics (Valentina Medri, Elena Landi and Alida Bellosi)
• Poly-Ether–Ether–Ketone (PEEK) (Markus A Wimmer, Michel P Laurent, Irene Sinz and Sandra Utzschneider)
• The Use of Polyurethanes in Joint Replacement (Jonathan J Elsner, Noam Eliaz and Eran Linder-Ganz)
• Hydrogels and Surface Modification (Masayuki Kyomoto and Kazuhiko Ishihara)
• Surface-Oxidized Zirconium (Shantanu Patil and Darryl D D'Lima)
• Oxidized Titanium (Hasan Güleryüz, Faiz Muhaffel and Hüseyin Çimenoglu)
• Diamond-Like Carbon Coatings for Joint Arthroplasty (So Nagashima, Myoung-Woon Moon and Kwang-Ryeol Lee)
• Nanocrystalline Diamond Coatings on Silicon Nitride Bioceramic Bearings (M Amaral, S P Rodrigues, F J Oliveira and R F Silva)
• Coatings of Transition Metal Nitrides and Carbides (C Fabry, C Zietz, R Dammer and R Bader)