Co-authored by a neurologist, a psychiatrist and a pulmonologist from the renowned Mayo Clinic, Sleep Medicine in Clinical Practice reflects the cross-disciplinary nature in the clinical management of sleep disorders.
This book provides a comprehensive overview of this emerging field, while addressing numerous developments in the science of sleep.
Uniquely structured around sleep symptoms rather than disorders, it covers the psychological basis of sleep and includes diagnostic tools and possible therapeutic strategies, emphasizing throughout the role of the clinician in diagnosing and managing disease.
Extensively updated, this second edition also offers:
- Updates on the latest drug therapies
- Illustrative case histories
- A review of sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, insomnia, circadian rhythm disorders, restless leg syndrome, and parasomnias
- A review of sleep patients with Parkinsonism, dementia, epilepsy, respiratory diseases and psychiatric disorders
- Evidence-based treatment recommendations incorporating AASM practice parameters
It will be of interest to sleep medicine specialists and trainees as well as neurologists, pulmonologists, psychiatrists and internists.
BASICS OF SLEEP MEDICINE
- Physiological Basis of Sleep
- Classification of Sleep Disorders
- Assessing the Patient with a Sleep Disorder
- Diagnostic testing for Sleep Disorders
THE SLEEPY PATIENT
- Sleepiness and Its Causes
- Approach to the Sleepy Patient
- Narcolepsy and Related Conditions
- Sleep Apnea Syndromes
- Sleep in Patients with Respiratory
- Diseases and Respiratory Failure
THE PATIENT WHO CANNOT SLEEP
- Insomnia and Its Causes
- Approach to the Patient Who Cannot Sleep
- Management of Insomnia
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders
- Sleep in the Patient with Psychiatric Disorders
THE PATIENT WITH EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT IN SLEEP
- Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic
- Limb Movements of Sleep
- The Parasomnias
- Sleep in Patients with Parkinsonism and Dementia
- Sleep in Patients with Epilepsy and Headaches
Michael H. Silber, MBChB, FCP(SA), is Professor of Neurology, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, and Co-Director of the Center for Sleep Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA. He is Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs in the Mayo School of Health Sciences. He is a past President of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Lois E. Krahn, MD, is Professor of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Chair, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, and Consultant, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. She is Director for Education, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic.
Timothy I. Morgenthaler, MD, is Associate Professor of Medicine, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, and Consultant, Center for Sleep Medicine and Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA. He is Associate Chair for Quality, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA. He is a Director of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.