Because principles of nursing process are the building blocks for all care models, the nursing process is the first model nurses need to learn to “think like a nurse.” This trusted resource provides the practical guidance needed to understand and apply each phase of the nursing process, with an increased emphasis on developing both critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills. With an easy-to-follow and engaging writing style, the author provides strategies, tools, and abundant examples to help nurses develop the skills they need to thrive in today’s complex health care setting.
- New! Appendix C: Key Elements of Critical Thinking in Context of ANA Standards and QSEN and IOM Competencies
- New! Content covers nurses’ increased responsibilities; how to prioritize, coordinate, and delegate care safely; creating healthy workplaces; updated evidence-based Critical Thinking Indicators; QSEN and IOM competencies; and more.
- New! Improved Layout facilitates readability, coupled with the author’s clear and engaging writing style.
- What’s in This Chapter? opens each chapter with an overview of content.
- ANA Standards Related to This Chapter are identified in chapter openers.
- Learning Outcomes written at the cognitive level of analysis help students focus their reading.
- Rules, given throughout the chapters, highlight important concepts, with New Rules included in this edition.
- Updated! Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Exercises are highlighted throughout to help students review and apply knowledge. (Example responses are provided at the end of the book.).
- Try This on Your Own exercises encourage students to learn more deeply through application and meaningful learning. (These exercises don’t have example responses at the end of the book because they’re very individualized and would be too lengthy to cover.)
- Voices excerpts offer quotations from nurses that are inspirational or exemplary of best practices.
- Think About It entries give “food for thought” to stimulate thinking and reinforce content.
- This Chapter and NCLEX, at the end of each chapter, lists important concepts and tips for applying chapter content during NCLEX.
- Key Points provide a summary at the end of each chapter.
- A glossary at the end of the book defines key terms; difficult terms are clarified in the text by definition, discussion, and use within context.
About the Author(s)
Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre MSN, RN, ANEF
President, Teaching Smart/Learning Easy, Stuart, FL
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Overview of Nursing Process, Clinical Reasoning, and Nursing Practice
Chapter 2. Assessment
Chapter 3. Diagnosis
Chapter 4. Planning
Chapter 5. Implementation
Chapter 6. Evaluation: Example Responses to Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Exercises
Appendix A. Example Critical Pathway
Appendix B. Building Healthy Workplaces and Safety and Learning Cultures
Appendix C. Key Elements of Critical Thinking in Context of ANAÂ Standards and QSENÂ and IOMÂ Competencies
Appendix D. DEAD ON!! A Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Game