About the Book
A guide to “when to” and “what to” rather than “how to,” this book provides evidence-based surgical reviews to provide credible answers to age-old surgical management questions. The management issues presented are oriented toward interventions and use evidence-based techniques to assess the safety and efficacy of new treatments and rehabilitative or preventative interventions.
Each chapter is organized around the key questions essential to delineating the current status of evidence related to the subject reviewed. Publications from the past decade are cited that provide Level I and II evidence using the Oxford scale. Throughout Elective General Surgery, careful assessment of the validity of intervention studies and the strength of the evidence that they provide underlies the choices of cited publications.
The information presented in this volume guides the scientific surgeon in providing state-of-the-art care and in optimizing the use of medical resources without losing sight of the need to address the unique needs of individual patients.
- Each chapter begins with key questions and answers regarding the evidence supporting recommended practices.
- Chapters are brief, focused presentations of a specific topic of surgical interest.
- The book is a comprehensive treatment of surgical management.
General Surgeons, Thoracic Surgeons, GI Surgeons, Vascular Surgeons
Table of Contents
- Section I. THE ESOPHAGUS
- Section II. THE STOMACH
- Section III. SMALL BOWEL
- Section IV. LARGE BOWEL
- Section V. THE LIVER
- Section VI. PORTAL HYPERTENSION
- Section VII. GALLBLADDER AND BILIARY TREE
- Section VIII. THE PANCREAS
- Section IX. THE SPLEEN
- Section X. HERNIA
- Section XI. ENDOCRINE GLANDS
- Section XII. THE BREAST
- Section XIII. CHEST WALL, MEDIASTINUM, TRACHEA
- Section XIV. VASCULAR SYSTEM
- Section XV. SKIN AND SOFT TISSUE
- Section XVI. PREOPERATIVE AND POSTOPERATIVE CARE
About the Author
Stephen M. Cohn, MD (San Antonio, TX) is affiliated with the University of Texas Health Science Center.
Steven T. Brower, MD (Savannah, GA) is affiliated with the Memorial Health University Medical Center.