This book introduces background information and procedural overviews needed to assess swallowing disorders in adults in addition to offering detailed protocols for administering the assessment. The majority of protocols in this book are provided in both English and Spanish, allowing clinicians to effectively and efficiently assess swallowing disorders in a wide variety of patients, including those speaking Spanish.
Also by these authors: "Treatment of Dysphagia in Adults. Resources and Protocols: A Bilingual Manual" follows the same format and serves as a companion volume.
Table of contents
- Introduction to the Dysphagia Assessment Resources and Protocols.
- Introduction to Feeding and Swallowing.
- Normal Swallow.
- Assessment of Swallowing.
- Screening for Swallowing Problems.
- Protocols for the Preparatory Evaluation.
- History of the Patient and the Swallowing Problems.
- Materials Needed for Preparatory Evaluation.
- Protocols for the Clinical Swallowing Evaluation.
- Orofacial Examination.
- Clinical Swallow Examination.
- The Swallowing Examination Protocol.
- Communicating the Assessment Results.
- Diet Recommendations.
- General Guidelines for Diet Modification.
- Nonoral Feeding Options.
- Recommendations for Treatment.
- Assessment Resources for Patients, Nursing Staff, and Postings.
- The Artificial Airway.
- Modified Barium Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study.
- Overview of Selected Instrumental Evaluation Procedures.
- English/Spanish Glossary.