Previously considered rare, Peyronie's disease affects nearly 10% of adult men. Recent advances in wound-healing disorders have substantially increased the understanding of Peyronie's disease and its pathophysiology. In this book, international authorities review the current nonsurgical and surgical therapeutic options for dealing with this fibrotic disorder. A variety of state-of-the-art research techniques is discussed.
Although there is no cure for Peyronie's diseases, this text discusses treatments that may result in physical improvement or help to stabilize the scarring process. Surgical options to correct the deformity in an effort to make the patients functional again are reviewed. Also discussed are the many misconceptions about Peyronie's disease, so that a practicing physician will be able to diagnose, treat, or refer the patient more appropriately.
An accompanying DVD reviews the most frequently performed operations, with tips on patient selection and surgical techniques.
As the first medical text on the subject, this book provides an up-to-date summary of the etiology, natural history, and pathophysiology of this disease as well as presents a review of the available medical and surgical treatment options.
Written for: Urologists, andrologists, sex therapists, and researchers in the field
Table of contents
1. Historical Review of Peyronie’s Disease: de la Peyronie to Devine - Emre Akkus
2. Epidemiology of Peyronie’s Disease - Ates Kadioglu and Oner Sanli
3. Experimental Models for the Study of the Cellular and Molecular Pathophysiology of Peyronie’s Disease - Nestor F. Gonzalez-Cadavid and Jacob Rajfer
4. The Clinical Implications of Basic Science Research in Peyronie’s Disease - John P. Mulhall
5. Evaluation of the Man With Peyronie’s Disease - Jason M. Greenfield and Laurence A. Levine
6. Oral Therapy for Peyronie’s Disease - Claudio Teloken, Tulio Graziottin, and Patrick E. Teloken
7. Intralesional Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease - Muammer Kendirci, Landon Trost, and Wayne J. G. Hellstrom
8. Topical Therapy: Iontophoresis and Electromotive Drug Administration - Savino M. Di Stasi, Antonella Giannantoni, Emmanuele A. Jannini, Giuseppe Vespasiani, Luigi Storti, Francesco Attisani, and Robert L. Stephen
9. Topical Therapy for Peyronie’s Disease: Ultrasound, Laser, Gels/Creams/Solutions - Paul F. Engelhardt and Claus R. Riedl
10. Combination Nonsurgical Therapy - Vincenzo Mirone
11. Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in Peyronie’s Disease - Ekkehard W. Hauck and Wolfgang Weidner
12. The Nesbit and Plication Procedures for Peyronie’s Disease - David Ralph
13. Penile Plication Using the 16-Dot Technique - Robert C. Dean and Tom F. Lue
14. Penile Straightening With Tunica Albuginea Plication: TAP Procedure - Laurence A. Levine
15. Incisional Corporoplasty for the Correction of Peyronie’s Disease Caused Penile Curvature - Daniel Yachia
xi16. Peyronie’s Disease: Surgical Straightening With Tunica Plication and Tunica Transfer - Konstantinos Hatzimouratidis and Dimitros G. Hatzichristou
17. A Review of Plaque Incision With Focus on Temporalis Fascia Grafts - Martin Gelbard
18. Venous Patch Graft Surgery for Peyronie’s Disease - Robert C. Dean and Tom F. Lue
19. Use of Porcine Small Intestinal Submucosal Graft in the Surgical Management of Peyronie’s Disease - L. Dean Knoll
20. Penile Straightening With Plaque Incision or Partial Excision and Human Pericardial Grafting Technique - Laurence A. Levine
21. Surgical Straightening With Tunica Incision and Grafting Technique: Single Relaxing Incision Based on Geometrical Principles - Paulo H. Egydio
22. Minimally Invasive Intracorporal Incision of Peyronie’s Plaque - Anthony J. Bella and Gerald B. Brock
23. Surgical Straightening With Penile Prosthesis - Steven K. Wilson and Culley C. Carson, III