Good intentions to do our best in healthcare are not enough. Healthcare professionals need to know how to close the gap between best evidence and practice, by understanding and applying quality improvement principles and processes.
Improving Healthcare is a practical guide, providing healthcare staff with the knowledge and skills that enable them to implement, evaluate and disseminate a quality improvement project in their own workplace. With a comprehensive coverage, chapterscover the history, selection and application of quality improvement philosophies and methods in clinical healthcare at team, unit, organisational and system levels. The book also considers social processes of implementation as well as technical aspects of measuring and improving quality.
As an essential guide for healthcare practitioners at any level who are new to service improvement, Improving Healthcare includes practical examples and case studies of healthcare improvement that illustrate the concepts discussed.
- Provides the reader with practical tools of improvement with case studies of their use
- Aimed at frontline staff, as well as Quality Improvement leaders and students
- Provides an introduction to the concepts of Quality Improvement from a range of disciplines
- Integrates Quality Improvement with other key policy initiatives including patient engagement and integrated care
- Presented in a user-friendly format with clear learning objectives, summaries, practical application practice-based activities
Introducing healthcare improvement, Service user involvement in improvement, Measuring for improvement, System improvement, Understanding the context for improvement, Ethics and governance in healthcare improvement, High Reliabilityorganisations, Implementing improvement, Sharing improvements, Implementing at scale, Evaluating healthcare improvements
Lesley Baillie is Florence Nightingale Foundation Chair of Clinical Nursing Practice in the School of Health and Social Care at London South Bank University.
Elaine Maxwell is Associate Professor in Leadership at London South Bank University.