This book brings together leading UK psychiatrists and psychopharmacologists to review and distill essential information about the scientific background and clinical application of drugs used in psychiatry. After eight years this revised edition has been brought fully up-to-date, including recent advances in brain neurosciences, a new chapter on practical aspects of prescribing, and clinical trials analysis.
- Delivers the cutting edge, up-to-date and accessible new edition
- Draws the knowledge of the top UK psychopharmacologists
- Discusses drugs licensed worldwide
- Contains material endorsed by the British Association for Psychopharmacology
- Covers the long-running BAP course
Table of Contents
Neuropharmacology and drug action. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Antipsychotics. Antidepressants and ECT. Mood stabilizers’: lithium and anticonvulsants. Anxiolytics . Drugs of abuse .Drugs for dementia .Drugs for personality disorders and rapid tranquillisation. Drug treatment for childhood and adolescent disorders .Principles of prescribing and special population .Clinical trial methodology.