This Study Guide for The Complete Medical Assistant includes exercises and activities that align with the latest CAAHEP and ABHES competencies and meet the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains. Working through the Study Guide, students will reinforce information presented in the textbook.
Features of the Study Guide
- LearningObjectives focus on the major topics from the chapter. Each objective addresses knowledge necessary for the entry-level medical assistant.
- Objective-stylequestions include matching terms and definitions, identifying medical abbreviations, and multiple-choice format. Terminology and abbreviation activities give students a chance to review important terms and abbreviations they may encounterduring externship and into their employment in a medical facility.
- Briefanswer questions and case studies require students to review the textbook chapter for essential information and apply problem solving to case studies based on actual scenarios that may occur in the medical facility.
- Internetresearch exercises encourage students to find more information about topics and subjects included in each chapter. Students learn how to access reliable websites to obtain information that will help them understand medical conditions and developpatient education materials.
- Procedureskill sheets provide students with the step-by-step process for performing the basic clinical skills they may encounter in the medical facility. Instructors can evaluate students by assigning points for each step performed correctly.
Table of Contents
Section I General Skills for the Medical Assistant
Chapter 1 Communication Skills for Medical Assistants
Chapter 2 Law and Ethics
Chapter 3 Medical Office Procedures
Section II Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 4 Organization of the Body and Integumentary System
Chapter 5 Skeletal and Muscular Systems
Chapter 6 Nervous System, Special Senses, and Endocrine System
Chapter 7 Digestive System and Nutrition
Chapter 8 Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
Chapter 9 Urinary and Reproductive Systems
Section III Clinical Medical Assistant Skills
Chapter 10 Appointments and Schedules
Chapter 11 Medical Documentation
Chapter 12 Medical Insurance Coding
Chapter 13 Managing Medical Office Finances
Chapter 14 Health Insurance and Processing Claims
Section IV Clinical Medical Assistant Skills
Chapter 15 Medical Asepsis and Infection Control
Chapter 16 Medical History and Patient Assessment
Chapter 17 Assisting with the Physical Examination
Chapter 18 Assisting with Minor Office Surgery
Chapter 19 Pharmacology and Drug Administration
Chapter 20 Diagnostic Testing
Chapter 21 Patient Education
Chapter 22 Medical Office Emergencies and Emergency Preparedness
Section V Clinical Laboratory
Chapter 23 Medical Assistant Role in the Clinical Laboratory
Chapter 24 Hematology
Chapter 25 Phlebotomy
Chapter 26 Immunology and Immunohematology
Chapter 27 Urinalysis
Chapter 28 Clinical Chemistry
Chapter 29 Microbiology