Prepare for a new career as a case manager—or just upgrade your skills to a whole new level—with the newly updated Case Management: A Practical Guide for Education and Practice, 4th Edition.
Ideal for case management certification (CCMC) exam preparation, this is a thorough review of the case manager’s many roles and skills, from acute to post-acute care. Whether you are a nurse transitioning to case management or already active in it, this is your road map to coordinating successful patient care, from hospital to home.
Build a strong case management career foundation, with expert, evidence-based direction:
- NEW chapter on case manager orientation programs that offers orientation checklists, competency assessment, and learning profiles, with available online tools
- NEW topics on current practice issues and developments, including the impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and value-based care
- NEW content on experiential, problem-based learning—learning practices, training programs, case management team professional development
- Offers in-depth, evidence-based guidance on:
- The case manager’s roles, functions, and tasks
- Key concepts—quality management and outcomes evaluation, legal and ethical considerations, case management process, utilization management, transitions of care
- The role of the nurse case manager versus social worker role
- Strategies that ensure effectiveness of case management models
- Coordinating care, protecting privacy and confidentiality, health insurance benefit analysis, practice standards
- The Case Management Code of Professional Conduct, accreditation agencies and standards, specialty board certifications
- Management of resources and reimbursement concepts
- Case management in various settings—acute care, emergency department, admissions, perioperative services, disease management, insurance case management, palliative care, end-of-life care, hospice, home health care, physician groups, public health/community-based care, rehabilitation
- Ideal preparation for the CCMC exam—offers a large portion of CCMC exam content—and for Continuing Education Unit (CEU) for Case Management study
- A must-have desk reference that offers plentiful case studies—considered to be “the bible” of case management
About the Authors
Suzanne K. Powell, RN, MBA, CCM, CPHQ, is Editor-in-Chief, of Professional Case Management: Leading Evidence Based Practice Across Transitions of Care at Lippincott Williams & Wilkins in
Hussein M. Tahan, PhD, RN, is System Vice President of Nursing, Professional Development and Workforce Planning at MedStar Health System Nursing in Columbia, Maryland.