This updated 4th Edition of Jill Gehrig�s highly visual, step-by-step guide takes dental hygienists-in-training through the process of patient assessment, emphasizing both the actual physical assessment and the human interaction involved.
The 4th Edition includes four chapters on communication (including an all-new motivational interviewing chapter), as well as unique�Human Element�sections that include real-life experiences shared by patients, students, and clinicians.
Enhanced by case studies, student learning aids, videos, and a new audio glossary,�Patient Assessment Tutorials�provides students with everything they need to succeed in the course and their future careers as dental hygienists.
- An all-new motivational interviewing chapter�in Part 1 helps students build skills in a collaborative form of communication designed to elicit and strengthen motivation for behavioral change.
- New coverage on communicating with patients with special needs, such as autism, Asperger�s, and Down Syndrome, enhances student skills.
- Online student resources, including video clips, a new audio glossary, and suggested Internet sites, bring concepts and techniques to life.
- A new Audio Glossary�is ideal for mastering the vocabulary of dental hygiene on the go, and especially helpful when English is a second language.
- Module Overviews and Outlineswith Learning Objectives�make information easier to locate, provide an organizational framework, and assist students in�recognizing and studying important concepts.
- Peak Procedures�sections provide a straightforward,�step-by-step guide for practicing and perfecting�assessment techniques in a self-instructional format that fosters autonomy�and decision-making skills.
- Ready References�provide quick access to�important information and can be�removed from the book, laminated or placed in plastic page�protectors, and assembled in a notebook for use in clinical�settings.
- The Human Element�sections include real-life experiences shared by students, patients, and experienced clinicians to help students understand the clinical relevance of chapter topics.
- Progressive Case Studies�that reveal assessment information as students move through the book encourage students to interpret the findings, relate them to previous information, and make decisions about patient care.
- Skill Checks�allow students to evaluate their strengths and�limitations in performing assessment procedures.
- Key Terminology�is highlighted in bold type, clearly defined, and then gathered together into a comprehensive Glossary at the back of the book.
- Comprehensive Patient Case Studies�in the final module present patient�assessment data and challenge students�to interpret and use the assessment information in�patient care planning.
- Detailed, full-color illustrations and photographs�visually guide students through procedures and techniques.