Now packed with new illustrations and more clinically relevant than ever before,
this fully updated Eighth Edition of Medical Terminology: An Illustrated Guide
helps readers develop a fundamental knowledge of the medical terminology necessary
for a career in any health care setting.
To help students learn both medical terms and how they are used in real-world settings, this reader-friendly book demonstrates how medical terms are built from word parts (Part 1), introduces body structures, diseases, and treatments (Part 2), and covers each body system (Part 3). Accessible content, a logical organization, and reinforcing drills in every chapter combine to help readers master the information they need for success in their future careers.
An enhanced art program, many new, clinically focused case studies, and an improved online teaching and learning resources (including prepU adaptive quizzing) make this Eighth Edition ideal for classroom instruction, independent study, or distance learning.
- Greater Student Confidence = Success: Use of Barbara Cohen’s Memmlers Anatomy and Physiology along with this Medical Terminology text delivers continuity of writing style, design, and online resources making students more confident and ultimately more successful in their chosen health profession.
- A greater emphasis on clinical illustrations brings concepts to life and helps students connect learning to practice.
- Updatedcases studies focus on current issues and hot topics to prepare students for the types of challenges they will encounter in practice.
- PrepU is featured in the Ancillaries-at-a-Glance section and is identified with an icon throughout the text.
- Online Student Resources have been updated and enhanced.
- Online Lesson Plans have been updated with tips on using the book in a flipped classroom or in online learning.
- Chapter-opening Case Studiesand Learning Objectivesput medical terminology in context and help you identify learning goals.
- Pretests give you an opportunity to assess your knowledge before reading each chapter and assess your progress after completing the chapter.
- New and enhanced full-color drawings and photographs, including clinical illustrations, tissue micrographs, and figures, clarify the text.
- New case studies focus on current issues and hot topics to prepare you for the types of challenges you’ll encounter in practice.
- Key Termssections list the terms most commonly used, while Supplementary Terms cover more specialized terms in a later section.
- Easy-to-reference Word Part tables in every chapter present roots, prefixes, and suffixes, along with examples of their use in medical terminology.
- A greater emphasis on clinical illustrations brings concepts to life and helps you connect learning to practice.
- Chapter-opening Ancillaries at a Glance sections identify online learning
tools available to assist in concept mastery (including
prepU adaptive quizzing). In addition, icons in the margins alert you to specific tools available online.
- Clinical Perspectives boxes focus on body processes and techniques used in clinical settings
- Health Professions boxes focus on a variety of health careers and demonstrate how medical terminology is used in clinical settings.
- Focus on Words boxes provide historical or other interesting information on selected terms within a chapter.
- For Your Referenceboxes provide additional information on medical terms.
- An extensive chapter review includes case studies that present terminology in the context of a medical report and related questions that test your cumulative knowledge.
- Chapter-ending exercises, including matching, word building, and other reinforcement tools, help you master each chapter’s content.
- A wide range of interactive learning activities, including flash cards, word-building, and Listen & Label, Look & Label, Pronounce It, Spell It, and exercises, as well as games (including Quiz Show, crossword puzzles, hangman), help you study and review.
Ann DePetris RN, BSN, MSA
Adjunct Professor, Oakland Community College; Program Manager, Cardiology Research, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI