While maintaining the focused, student-friendly approach this title is known for, the updated 2nd Edition of�Essentials of Radiologic Science�now adds more detail and context on key topics to better meet the needs of today�s classroom.
Designed throughout to help students succeed in the course and begin preparing for the ARRT examination from the very beginning of their program, the 2nd Edition now includes comprehensive coverage of digital imaging, an array of �in-book and online learning tools to help students of all learning styles master the content, and a powerful suite of online instructor�s resources.
- New! An expanded Part IV on Digital Imaging and Processing�covers basic principles, acquiring the digital image, digital imaging exposure techniques, exposure indicators, processing, evaluation, and management to give students the knowledge base they�ll need in today�s clinical settings.
- New! More detail on selected topics�provides greater depth of coverage.
- Updated Case Studies with numbered Critical Thinking Questions�use real-life scenarios to encourage students to apply chapter concepts.
- Over 400 full-color illustrations, radiographic images, photos, and charts�clarify key concepts while making the text visually appealing and interesting.
- Revised Critical Thinking Boxes�give students an opportunity to apply chapter topics by answering numbered clinical/practical application questions.
- Alignment with�ARRT and ASRT�curriculum standards�ensures that book content provides all the key information that students will need in practice.
- Video and Animation icons�alert students to go online to access interactive learning resources that provide audio and visual explanations of key topics.
- Useful pedagogical features�help students master the material, including�Chapter Objectives, Key Terms, Chapter Summaries,�Chapter Review Questions,�and a�Glossary.
Part 1: Physics for Radiologic Science
Ch. 1 History of Radiologic Science
Ch. 2 Basic Mathematics
Ch. 3 Basic Physics for Radiographic Science
Ch. 4 Atomic Structure
Ch. 5 Electromagnetic Radiation�
Part 2: Creating the X-Ray Beam
Ch. 6 Electricity
Ch. 7 Electromagnetism
Ch. 8 X-Ray Unit Circuitry
Ch. 9 The X-Ray Tube
Ch. 10 X-Ray Production�
Part 3: Image Production
Ch. 11 X-Ray Interactions with Matter
Ch. 12 Beam Attenuation
Ch. 13 Radiographic Image Characteristics
Ch. 14 Image Exposure
Ch. 15 Controlling Scatter Radiation
Ch. 16 Radiographic Film and Processing
Ch. 17 Radiographic Technique
Ch. 18 Automatic Exposure Control (AEC)�
Part 4: Digital Imaging and Processing
Ch. 19 Basic Principles of Digital Imaging
Ch. 20 Capturing the Digital Image
Ch. 21 Digital Imaging Exposure Techniques
Ch. 22 Processing the Digital Image
Ch. 23 Digital Exposure Indicators
Ch. 24 Digital Image Evaluation
Ch. 25 Digital Image Display
Ch. 26 Digital Image Management�
Part 5: Specialized Imaging Techniques
Ch. 27 Fluoroscopy
Ch. 28 Imaging Equipment
Ch. 29 Quality Assurance and Control
Ch. 30 Computed Tomography�
Part 6: Radiation Biology and Protection
Ch. 31 Radiation Biology: Cellular Effects
Ch. 32 Organism Response to Radiation
Ch. 33 Radiation Protection: Principle Concepts and Equipment
Ch. 34 Minimizing Exposure to Ionizing Radiation