Elite athletes are athletes who have reached the highest level of performance in a particular sport. This population includes professional, national, international, or Olympic quality players. This book reviews literature on nutrition and performance in elite athletes. It is arranged by athletic population and nutrition/exercise interactions that reach across athletic sub-populations. Chapters cover nutrition and dietary supplements for endurance, strength power, team sport, and weight class/aesthetic sport athletes; hydration; vitamin and mineral requirements; and energy balance for elite athletes.
- Presents a critical review of nutritional needs to support elite athletic performance.
- Provides information on nutrition, exercise immunology, recovery nutrition, and dietary supplement safety
- Arranges topic by athletic populations, as opposed to the traditional single nutrients or metabolic systems
- Includes populations of endurance athletes, strength power athletes, and weight class/aesthetic sport athletes
- Covers supplement safety as well as drug/nutrient/exercise interactions
Table of Contents
Nutrition for endurance athletes. Dietary supplements for endurance athletes. Nutrition for strength power athletes. Dietary supplements for strength power athletes. Nutrition and dietary supplements for team sport athletes. Nutrition and dietary supplements for weight class/aesthetic sport athletes. Dietary supplement safety for athletes. Drug, nutrient, exercise interactions. Nutrition, exercise, and immunology. Hydration for athletes. Vitamin & mineral requirements for athletes. Energy balance for athletes.