This authoritative guide has given tens of thousands of clinicians proven tools for helping clients resolve ambivalence and mobilize their energy, commitment, and personal resources for change. Leading experts describe ways to combine motivational interviewing (MI) with other treatments for a wide range of psychological problems, including depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, posttraumatic stress disorder, and others. Chapters illustrate the nuts and bolts of intervention, using vivid clinical examples, and review the empirical evidence base. Contributors show how to tailor MI to each population's needs, whether used as a pretreatment or throughout the course of therapy.
New to This Edition
- Many new authors.
- Extensively revised with the latest theory, practices, and research.
- Chapters on domestic violence, addictions, and smoking cessation with adolescents.
- Chapter on transdiagnostic treatment.
1. Learning, Applying, and Extending Motivational Interviewing, William R. Miller & Hal Arkowitz
2. Motivation Facilitation in the Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders, James F. Boswell, Kate H. Bentley, & David H. Barlow
3. Enhancing the Effectiveness of Exposure and Response Prevention in the Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Exploring a Role for Motivational Interviewing, Allan Zuckoff, Iván C. Balán, & Helen Blair Simpson
4. Integrating Motivational Interviewing into the Treatment of Anxiety, Henny A. Westra & Adi Aviram
5. Enhancing Motivation in Individuals with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Comorbid Substance Use Disorders, David Yusko, Michelle L. Drapkin, & Rebecca Yeh
6. Motivational Interviewing as a Prelude to Psychotherapy for Depressed Women, Allan Zuckoff, Holly A. Swartz, & Nancy K. Grote
7. Motivational Interviewing and the Treatment of Depression, Sylvie Naar & Heather Flynn
8. Motivational Interviewing to Address Suicidal Ideation, Peter C. Britton
9. Motivational Pharmacotherapy: Combining Motivational Interviewing and Antidepressant Therapy to Improve Treatment Outcomes, Iván C. Balán, Theresa B. Moyers, & Roberto Lewis-Fernández
10. Motivational Interviewing in Treating Addictions, William R. Miller
11. Brief Treatments for Gambling Problems Using Motivational Approaches, David C. Hodgins, Jennifer L. Swan, & Katherine M. Diskin
12. Motivational Interviewing for Smoking Cessation with Adolescents, Suzanne M. Colby
13. Motivational Interviewing for Intimate Partner Violence, Erica M. Woodin
14. Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Disordered Eating, Stephanie C. Cassin & Josie Geller
15.Conclusions and Future Directions, Hal Arkowitz, William R. Miller, & Stephen Rollnick