From Marsha M. Linehan—the developer of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)—this comprehensive resource provides vital tools for implementing DBT skills training. The reproducible teaching notes, handouts, and worksheets used for over two decades by hundreds of thousands of practitioners have been significantly revised and expanded to reflect important research and clinical advances. The book gives complete instructions for orienting clients to DBT, plus teaching notes for the full range of mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation, and distress tolerance skills. Handouts and worksheets are not included in the book; purchasers get access to a Web page where they can download and print all the handouts and worksheets discussed, as well as the teaching notes. The companion volume is available separately: DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition.
New to This Edition
- Handouts and worksheets (available online and in the companion volume) have been completely revised and dozens more added—more than 225 in all.
- Each module has been expanded with additional skills.
- Multiple alternative worksheets to tailor treatment to each client.
- More extensive reproducible teaching notes (provided in the book and online), with numerous clinical examples.
- Curricula for running skills training groups of different durations and with specific populations, such as adolescents and clients with substance use problems.
- Linehan provides a concise overview of "How to Use This Book."
I. An Introduction to DBT Skills Training
1. Rationale for Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training
2. Planning to Conduct DBT Skills Training
3. Structuring Skills Training Sessions
4. Skills Training Treatment Targets and Procedures
5. Application of Fundamental DBT Strategies in Behavioral Skills Training
Part I Appendices
II. Teaching Notes for DBT Skills Modules
6. General Skills: Orientation and Analyzing Behavior
7. Mindfulness Skills
8. Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
9. Emotion Regulation Skills
10. Distress Tolerance Skills