Prepare your students to identify risk factors and potential emergencies before
they occur with Preventing Medical Emergencies, 3e. Organized to follow the
most recent American Dental Association Health History form, the book includes
easy-to-find follow-up questions for all conditions, along with clinically relevant
treatment plan modifications and strategies for preventing and managing specific
Organized for effective use in a 15-week semester, the Third Edition features the latest professional guidelines, new information on clinical management of patients with special needs, all-new teaching resources, and more.
- A NEW chapter-by-chapter PowerPoint Presentation speeds lecture preparation.
- Summary Case Studies Online combine and summarize topics in chapters 1-4; 5-8; 9-10; and 11-13. Each summary case study presents patients with multiple conditions to give students additional practice in assessing and managing potential risks.
- Interactive Quiz Bank for students to test their knowledge on key concepts covered in each chapter.
- Videos illustrating the most common medical emergencies in the dental setting.
- Image Bank gives students online access to the book’s images for study on the go.
Table of contents
Chapter 1 Using the Medical History to Prevent Emergencies: Risk Assessment
Chapter 2 The American Dental Association Health History Form
Chapter 3 The Dental History
Chapter 4 Medical Information and Current Drug Therapy
Chapter 5 Total Joint Replacement and Potential Effects of Bisphosphonates
Chapter 6 Allergies to Drugs, Environmental Substances, Foods, and Metals
Chapter 7 Substance Abuse (Controlled Substances, Tobacco Use, Alcohol)
Chapter 8 Women’s Issues (Pregnancy, Lactation, Menopause) and Antibiotic Prophylaxis
Chapter 9 Blood-Related Abnormalities and Diseases
Chapter 10 Medical Conditions Involving Immunosuppression
Chapter 11 Medical Conditions Involving the Cardiovascular System
Chapter 12 Medical Conditions Involving Neurologic Disorders
Chapter 13 Medical Conditions Involving Gastrointestinal Disorders and Respiratory Disease
Chapter 14 Medical Conditions Involving Glaucoma, the Kidneys, and Thyroid Disorders
Chapter 15 Analysis of Information With Clinical Applications