This book is a practical manual using cases to demonstrate the challenges that may present along the patient journey throughout the assisted reproduction therapy process and possible options towards a solution. The short chapters are structured by case to set the scene followed by a discussion covering background, management options, and prevention. Key points then complete each chapter. This highly practical manual helps all those involved in decision making to guide and support the patient through an emotionally unsettling process to a fulfilling outcome.
Table of Contents
- How to use this book.
Section 1: Counselling and preparation phase.
1. Risk of cancer from ovarian stimulation (N. Kanakas, M. Pitsos and T. Mantzavinost).
2. Risk of early menopause following IVF treatment (Sesh Kamal Sunkara).
3. The HIV positive female (Joshua U. Klein and Mark V. Sauer).
4. The HIV positive male (Mark V. Sauer and Joshua U. Klein).
5. The Hepatitis B/C carrier patient (Suzanne Lutgens, E. Nelissen, G. Dunselman and I.H.M. van Loo).
6. The patient with Cystic fibrosis (Tarek El-Toukhy).
7. The patient on medication (Arri Coomarasamy).
8. The patient with thrombophilia (Ying Cheong and Nick Macklon).
9. The patient with autoimmune disorders (Jose Bellver).
10. The patient with malignant disease: fertility preservation (Arri Coomarasamy).
11. The patient with heart disease (Natasha Thorogood and C. Nelson-Piercy).
12. The patient with Diabetes (Neelam Potdar and Justin C. Konje).
13. The patient with thyroid disease (Shiao Chan).
14. The patient with hyperprolactinaemia (John Ayuk).
15. The patient with polycystic ovaries (Adam Balen).
16. The renal transplant patient and IVF (Lynne Robinson and Clara Day).
17. The patient with previous pelvic irradiation
18. Fertility after chemotherapy (Nivedita Reddy).
19. The patient with abnormal cervical cytology (Mahmood Shafi).
20. The patient with previous borderline ovarian tumour (Arri Coomarasamy and Kavita Singh).
21. The patient with endometrioma (Luciano G. Nardo and Oybek Rustamov).
22. The patient with cervical stenosis (Khaldoun Sharif).
23. Vaccination and ART (Arri Coomarasamy and Dukaydah van der Berg).
24. The patient with hydrosalpinx (Annika Strandell).
25. The patient with poor ovarian reserve (Scott M. Nelson).
26. The patient with congenital uterine anomalies (Sarah Creighton and Lina Michala).
27. The patient with congenital cervico-vaginal anomalies (Sarah Creighton and Lina Michala).
28. The patient with uterine fibroids (Haitham Hamoda and Yakoub Khalaf).
29. The patient with previous ESSURE® sterilisation (T. Justin Clark).
30. The patient with previous endometrial ablation (T. Justin Clark).
31. The couple with recurrent implantation failure (Tarek El-Toukhy).
32. The patient with previous uterine artery embolisation (Haitham Hamoda and Yakoub Khalaf).
33. Endometrial polyp detected during ART treatment (Arri Coomarasamy).
34. The obese patient (Mostafa Metwally and Bolarinde Ola).
35. Asherman syndrome (Dan Yu, Enlan Xia and T.C. Li).
36. The Older patient (Bill Ledger).
37. Requests for mild or natural cycle IVF treatment (Brad B. Swelstad and Suheil J. Muasher).
38. The ART patient with phychosexual problems.
39. The patient needing third-party reproduction.
40. Request for "social egg freezing".
41. Patient with bariatric surgery (Zaher O. Merhi and Harry J. Lieman).
Section 2: Ovarian stimulation phase.
42. Poor response during ovarian stimulation (Lynne Robinson and Arri Coomarasamy).
43. Ovarian stimulation for IVF in a patient with previous severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (Khaldoun Sharif).
44. Unable to achieve pituitary down-regulation (K. Jayaprakasan and Nick Raine-Fenning).
45. Patient discovered pregnant during pituitary down-regulation (Mohammed Khairy Mahmoud and Arri Coomarasamy).
46. Ovarian cysts following pituitary down-regulation (Alison Taylor).
47. Poor endometrial development (Lynne Robinson and Arri Coomarasamy).
48. Missed IVF medications (Lynne Robinson and Arri Coomarasamy).
49. The patient with history of estrogen-receptor positive cancer (Murat S).ö).nmezer and Kutluk Oktay).
50. Patient over-responding to controlled ovarian stimulation during IVF (Khaldoun Sharif).
Section 3: Egg Collection.
51. General anaesthesia or sedation for oocyte retrieval? (A.F. Malins).
52. Delayed oocyte retrieval (Khaldoun Sharif).
53. Empty follicle syndrome (George Ndukwe).
54. Bleeding following oocyte retrieval (Annika K. Ludwig and Barbara Sonntag).
55. To flush or not to flush follicles at oocyte retrieval? (Micah J. Hill and Eric D. Levans).
56. Inaccessible ovaries at oocyte retrieval (Hazem Al-Rumaih).
57. Endometriotic cysts at oocyte retrieval (Graciela Kohls and Juan A. Garcia-Velasco).
Section 4: Embryo Transfer.
58. Couple with frozen embryos splitting (Masoud Afnan).
59. Endometrial cavity fluid identified during IVF treatment (Arri Coomarasamy).
60. Difficult embryo transfer (Khaldoun Sharif).
61. Excessive cervical mucus and retained embryo at embryo transfer (Hassan N. Sallam, Ahmed F. Galal and Fady Moeity).
Section 5: The Luteal Phase.
62. Life after embryo transfer (Kelton Tremellen).
63. Vaginal bleeding in the luteal phase after IVF (Carol Coughlan and Bolarinde Ola).
64. Pelvic infection after IVF (Muhammad Faisal Aslam).
65. Patient presenting with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (Khaldoun Sharif).
66. Adnexal torsion after IVF (Saioa Torrealday and Beth W. Rackow).
67. Exposure to infection in the luteal phase of IVF (Litha Pepas and Arri Coomarasamy).
Section 6: The ART Laboratory.
68. Total failure of fertilisation after conventional IVF - Rescue ICSI (A. Albert Yuzpe).
69. Couples not wishing to create surplus embryos in IVF (Hossam Mohamed).
70. Aneuploidy screening for advanced maternal age or repeated IVF failure (Haitham Hamoda).
71. Choosing an embryo for transfer(D. Sakkas).
72. Globozoospermia (Steven Mansell, Anne Rice, Catherine Beaton and Christopher L.R. Barratt).
73. Total failure of fertilization after ICSI (Kaoru Yanagida).
74. Re-freezing of embryos (Jerome H. Check).
75. Infection in embryo culture medium (Peter M.M. Kastrop).
76. ICSI or IVF in non-male factor infertility? (Mohamed Aboulghar).
77. The ART program during a natural or human made disaster (Richard Palmer Dickey and Carla White).
Section 7: The Male Patient.
78. Using the wrong sperm or embryos in IVF (Khaldoun Sharif and Mutaz Al-Ahmad).
79. Unexpected inability to produce semen sample on the day of oocyte retrieval (Khaldoun Sharif).
80. The azoospermic patient (Khaldoun Sharif).
81. ART in men with Klinefelter Syndrome (Ronnie G. Fine and Darius A. Paduch).
82. ART in men with 100% immotile sperm (Carolina Ortega, Dominique Raick and Herman Tournaye).
83. Request for posthumous fatherhood with perimortem surgical sperm retrieval (Zamip P. Patel, Heather E. Ross and Lawrence S. Ross).
84. Retrograde ejaculation and anejaculation (Asif Muneer and Anthony Hirsh).
85. Sperm retrieval in cancerous testes (Saad Aldousari and Armand Zini).
86. Leukocytospermia and ART (Giuseppe Ricci).
87. The infertile male patient with a genetic cause (Katherine L. O’Flynn O’Brien and Ashok Agarwal).
88. Y-chromosome microdeletions and ART (Sherman J. Silber).
Section 8: The ART Pregnancy.
89. Unexpected number or gender of babies after IVF (Khaldoun Sharif).
90. Suspected ectopic pregnancy after IVF (Vishvanath C. Karande).
91. Cervical ectopic pregnancy after IVF (Usha Verma).
92. Heterotopic pregnancy after IVF (Abdel-Maguid Ramzy).
93. Multi-fetal pregnancy reduction after ART (R. Katie Morris and Mark D. Kilby).
94. Multiple pregnancy after IVF: to cerclage or not to cerclage (Harry Gee).
95. Hyperreactio Luteinalis after IVF (Mohammad Ebrahim Parsanezhad, Leila Forooghinia and Maryam Parsa-Nezhad).
96. Lactation by a commissioning mother in surrogacy (Frank Bievarliet and Stephen L. Atkin).
Section 9: General Issues.
97. Dealing with the emotional distress following failed IVF (Linda Hammer Burns).
98. IVF when the prognosis is very poor or futile (Khaldoun Sharif).
99. Unexpected drop in the ART clinic pregnancy rate (Bulent Urman and Kayhan Yakin).
100. Natural fertility after IVF (Frank Nawroth and Annika K. Ludwig)