The Spine—a volume in the new Arthritis and Arthroplasty series—offers expert guidance on everything from patient selection and pre-operative planning to surgical approaches and techniques. Francis H. Shen, MD and Christopher I. Shaffrey, MD present clear, evidence-based coverage detailing which technology and methodology is best for each patient. Access discussions of debates on minimally invasive surgery; whether metal/polyethylene, metal-metal, or ceramic-ceramic is the best/most appropriate bearing surface; cemented vs. uncemented fixation of the components; and more. View expertly narrated video demonstrations of surgical techniques. In addition to providing practical, pragmatic advice in a concise, readable format, this Expert Consult title offers the full text of the book, as well as links to PubMed and periodic content updates, online at www.expertconsult.com.
- Access the full text of the book—as well as links to PubMed and periodic content updates—online at www.expertconsult.com.
- Provides evidence-based, clinically focused guidance on patient selection, pre-operative planning, surgical approach and techniques, instrumentation, disease specific options, the management and avoidance of complications, and more.
- Discusses variations in technique, including thoracoscopy, microdiscectomy, interbody fusion, osteotomies, laminectomy, MIS decompression techniques and more.
- Explores alternatives to fusion in younger arthritic patients, including disc arthroplasty, facet joint replacement, nucleus replacement.
- Includes a review page in every chapter for quick reference to pearls and pitfalls for each topic.
- Presents photographs and interpretive drawings of surgical techniques in full color to bring out intraoperative details as they appear in the operating room.
- Features procedural videos—narrated by experts—on the included DVD so you can see how to perform particular techniques.
By Francis H. Shen, MD, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Division of Spine Surgery, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, VA and Christopher Shaffrey
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should access to the web site be discontinued.