Paediatrics and Child Health is the perfect textbook to prepare you for clinical
practice - providing a comprehensive and practical guide to paediatric disorders
as they present to the practitioner, and grouped together by system for easy
From birth through to adolescence, the emphasis is on common and important paediatric problems. This is the only book that takes each symptom and walks you through history taking and physical examination step-by-step. Each section concludes with characteristics and features of the symptoms covered, allowing you to reach differential diagnoses in a logical, highly-structured way. A unique feature are the videos on the website that accompanies the book. Designed to enhance your clinical skills and help you in OSCEs, they show you how to examine children correctly.
This third edition has been substantially updated throughout and includes new chapters on cardiac conditions and social paediatrics. Beautifully presented, with many new illustrations and photographs, favourite features such as ‘at a glance’ and ‘clues to the diagnosis’ boxes are back, with new ‘red flag’ boxes to signal the crucial information you need. The self-assessment section allows you to check your knowledge and prepare for paediatrics exams.
Paediatrics and Child Health is the perfect resource for a course on paediatrics, and is accompanied by a FREE enhanced Wiley Desktop Edition - the interactive digital version of the book with downloadable text and images, highlighting and note-taking facilities, book-marking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and glossary terms.
- Covers child development from newborn to adolescent
- Full colour throughout including photographs, line drawings and colour coded sections for ease of navigation
- At a Glance boxes provide core information on common conditions and complaints.
- A 'Finding your way round' mind-map opens each chapter
- Students are guided to what they must know, be able to do and appreciate by boxes at the start of each chapter
- Self-assessment Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Supported by child examination video clips
- Available as a FREE enhanced Wiley Desktop Edition (upon purchase of the textbook) - an interactive digital version of the book featuring downloadable text and images, highlighting and note taking facilities, book marking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and glossary terms
New to this Edition
- A thorough re-structure which retains the symptoms-based approach (chapters still begin with symptoms, history taking and examination, investigations) but is followed by a more intuitive systems based 'list' of disorders.
- Now includes specific chapters on cardiac conditions and social paediatrics
- A brand new text design including additional pedagogy such as 'How to use this book' and 'red flag' boxes.
- Wiley Desktop Edition included in the purchase price of the book
Table of Contents
How to use this book.
PART 1. ABOUT CHILDREN.
1. Nature and nurture.
2. Health care and child health promotion.
3. Children with long-term medical conditions.
PART 2. A PAEDIATRIC TOOL KIT.
4. History taking and clinical examination .
5. Developmental evaluation.
6. Investigations and their interpretation.
PART 3. AN APPROACH TO PROBLEM BASED PAEDIATRICS.
7. The febrile child.
8. Respiratory conditions.
9. Gastrointestinal disorders.
10. Cardiac conditions.
11. Neurological disorders.
12. Development and neurodisability.
13. Growth, endocrinological and metabolic disorders.
14. Musculoskeletal disorders.
15. Renal and urinary disorders.
17. Rashes and dermatological disorders.
18. Haematological conditions.
19. Emotional and behavioural problems.
20. Social paediatrics.
21. Emergency paediatrics.
22. The newborn.
23. Adolescence and puberty.
Mary Rudolf is Professor of Child Health at East Leeds PCT and the University
Malcolm Levene is Professor of Paediatrics and Child Health at the School of Medicine, Leeds General Infirmary
Tim Lee is Consultant Paediatrician at Leeds General Infirmary