The A-Z of Dental Nursing is the indispensable revision-aid and reference for all dental nurses and other professions complimentary to dentistry.
The book is divided into two halves. The first is a dictionary offering concise definitions of common words, terms, names & phrases spanning each of the key topic areas such as: cross-infection, endodontics, anatomy and physiology, pathology, radiography and materials. The second half is a handy reference with sections on common abbreviations, charting, career paths, professional bodies, training, further reading and web resources.
Table of Contens
About the author; why this book; how to use it.
SECTION 1: Dictionary.
- A-Z definitions covering the following areas:.
- Anaesthesia e.g Local, Surface, General, Conscious Sedation.
- Anatomy and Physiology e.g Salivary Glands, Tongue, Skull, Jaw.
- Blood e.g Red Cells, White Cells, Platelets, Plasma.
- Caries e.g Decay, Sugar, Demineralisation, Remineralisation.
- Cross Infection/Sterilisation e.g Disinfectants, Autoclave, Hepatitis B&C, AIDS.
- Digestion e.g Mastication, Swallowing, Saliva, Intestines.
- Endodontics e.g Pulpitis, Vitality, Barbed Broach, Reamers.
- Extractions and Minor Oral Surgery e.g Forceps, Elevator, Cryers, Dry Socket.
- Fillings e.g Amalgam, Composite, Linings, Retention.
- First Aid e.g. Collapse, Resuscitation, Epilepsy, Diabetes.
- Heart & Circulation e.g. Ventricles, Pulmonary, Coronary.
- Microbiology e.g. Viruses, Fungi, Cocci, Bacteria.
- Orthodontics e.g. Occlusion, Supernumerary, Malocclusion.
- Pathology e.g. Biopsy, Cyst, Inflammation, Immunity.
- Periodontal Disease e.g. Plaque, Periodontitis, Supragingival.
- Prescriptions e.g. Dispensing, Disposal, Allergy, Salbutamol.
- Prosthetics e.g. Crown, Bridge, Denture.
- Radiography e.g. Panoramic, Bitewing, Oblique, Extra-Oral Film.
- Instruments e.g. Mirror, Probe, Escavator, Warwick James.
- Materials e.g. Acid Etch, Alginate, Polycarboxylate.
SECTION II: Professional Reference.
- Common Abbreviations: Used in note taking/writing.
- Charting: Diagram of full mouth charting.
- Career Paths: Specialisation (assessor, ortho nurse, radiography etc).
- Professional Bodies: BADN, GDC, BDA etc.
- Training Courses: NVQ Level 3 in Oral Health Care, National Certificate in Dental Nursing etc.
- Publications: Further reading, BADN Magazine etc.
- Useful Websites: Smle.co.uk, Medicruit etc.
Wendy Ann Paintin is a National Certificate qualified dental nurse and Qualified NVQ Assessor/Tutor. She has over 14 years experience in environments which include general and private practice, community dental services, PDS/Access Centres, Hospital/minor oral surgery and in roles such as orthodontics nurse, practice manager and Health and Safety committee member for the British Association of Dental Nurses.