Emergency Surgery provides both a practical guide and an understanding of the issues that need to be considered in the management of emergency surgery patients. It presents a clear account of the key issues involved in the assessment, investigation, resuscitation and surgical management of patients who present to the on-call emergency team.
It considers the full breadth of issues encountered in these patients including anaesthesia, pre-op resuscitation/optimization, and initial post-operative care including preliminary high dependency/critical care, as well as the complications and acute issues found in acute surgical patients on the ward.
It is ideal for surgical trainees as well as trainees from other specialties involved in the care of these complex and challenging patients.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Approach.
- 1. The Initial Approach to the Emergency Surgery patient (Adam Brooks, J Alastair D Simpson).
- 2. Preoperative considerations (Paul Wood).
- 3. Emergency anaesthesia (Giles Nordmann).
- 4. Analgesia (Jeff Tong).
Part 2 Abdomen.
- 5. Acute Appendicitis (Tom Palser, David Humes, Adam Brooks).
- 6. Colonic Diverticulitis (David Luke, Doug Bowley).
- 7. Biliary Colic and Acute Cholecystitis (Tom Palser, Mark Taylor).
- 8. Perforated peptic ulcer (A Morris, Mark Midwinter).
- 9. Fulminant colitis (Deborah Nicol, Richard Wolverson).
- 10. Mesenteric Ischaemia (Justin Manley, Tracy Bilski).
- 11. Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Haemorrhage (John Hammond).
- 12. Lower GI haemorrhage (J Alistair D Simpson).
- 13. Acute Pancreatitis (Euan Dickson, Colin J. McKay, C. Ross Carter).
- 14. Small bowel obstruction (Edward Fitzgerald).
- 15. Surgical jaundice and cholangitis (JS Hammond, Ian Beckingham)
- 16. Large bowel obstruction (Igor V. Voskresensky, Bryan A. Cotton)
- 17. Emergency surgical management of herniae (John Simpson, David Humes).
Part 3 Vascular.
- 18. Ruptured aortic aneurysm (Ross Davenport, Nigel Tai)
- 19. Acute limb ischaemia (Matthew Button, Nigel Tai)
Part 4 Soft tissue infection.
- 20. Superficial Sepsis, Cutaneous Abscess and Necrotising Fasciitis (Conor Maron).
Part 5 Urology.
- 21. Emergency urology (Tom Walton, Gurminder S. Mann).
Part 7 Trauma.
- 22. Abdominal Trauma: evaluation and decision making (Lesly Dossett, Bryan A. Cotton).
- 23. Thoracic trauma: evaluation and decision making (Stella Smith, Nigel Tai).
- 24. Vascular trauma (Nora Brennan, Nigel Tai).
- 25. Damage control surgery (Timothy C. Nunez, Igor Voskrensensky, Brian Cotton).
- 26. Trauma laparotomy (Victor Zaydfudim, Bryan A. Cotton).
- 27. Operative Management of Thoracic Trauma (Tom Konig, Nigel Tai).
- 28. Abdominal trauma: operative and non operative management (Roland Hernandez, Aviram M Giladi, Bryan A. Cotton).
Part 8 Critical Care.
- 29. Critical Care (Andy Johnston).
- 30. Postoperative Complications. (Abeed Chowdhury, Adam Brooks)