Infectious Disease is a core topic within the clinical curriculum and students
are expected to recognize, understand and know how to investigate and manage
many infectious conditions.
Infectious Disease: Clinical Cases Uncovered leads students through a clinical approach to managing problems, with a question-answer approach developing the narrative. With self-assessment exercises using MCQs, EMQs and SAQs, Infectious Disease: Clinical Cases Uncovered is perfect for medical students and junior doctors, infectious disease nurses, nursing students and nurse practitioners.
Table of Contents
How to use this book.
Part 1 Basics.
- Laboratory diagnosis of infection.
- Antimicrobial chemotherapy.
- Infection and immunity.
- Approach to the patient.
Part 2 Cases.
- Case 1 A 68-year-old woman with bloody diarrhoea.
- Case 2 A 73-year-old man who has been feeling generally unwell for 2 weeks.
- Case 3 A 36-year-old man with hospital-acquired pneumonia.
- Case 4 A 26-year-old male with jaundice.
- Case 5 A 28-year-old female student with severe headache and drowsiness.
- Case 6 A 30-year-old female with a vesicular skin rash.
- Case 7 A 37-year-old man with fever and pleuritic pain.
- Case 8 A 14-year-old school girl with a rash.
- Case 9 A 68-year-old woman with fever and muscle pains.
- Case 10 A 35-year-old teacher with fever and chills on return from Malawi.
- Case 11 A 32-year-old man with night sweats and fatigue.
- Case 12 A 41-year-old male with a red, hot and swollen left lower leg.
- Case 13 An 18-year-old female student with vaginal discharge.
- Case 14 An outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting on an orthopaedic ward.
- Case 15 An antenatal visit.
- Case 16 Headache in a 35-year-old South African woman.
- Case 17 A 64-year-old man with fever and rigors.
- Case 18 A 42-year-man with fever, cough and myalgia.
- Case 19 A 75-year-old man with a sore hip.
- Case 20 A 24-year-old man with acute myelogenous leukaemia who has developed a fever.
- Case 21 A 53-year-old man with fever, severe back pain and abdominal pain.
- Case 22 A 20-year-old female student with a rash, fever, myalgia and diarrhoea.
- Case 23 A 54-year-old man with a cough and night sweats.
- Case 24 A 15-year-old boy with fever and a sore throat.
Part 3 Self-assessment.
- Index of cases by diagnosis or organism.
* Hamish McKenzie, Professor and Honorary Consultant Medical
Microbiologist, Foresterhill Hospital, Aberdeen and Aberdeen
* Robert Laing, Consultant Physician in Infectious Disease and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary * Alexander McKenzie, Consultant Physician in Infection Disease and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
* Pamela Molyneaux, Consultant Virologist and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
* Abhjit Bal, SpR in Medical Microbiology and Honorary Clinical Lecturer