Designed for real-life practice in the ward, each chapter includes clear guidelines for procedure and discussion of best practice. Case studies are used throughout to aid discussion of specific equipment, conditions, and situations.
An essential resource for neonatal nursing and midwifery students, as well as practicing neonatal nurses, this acclaimed text may also be of use to junior doctors beginning neonatology.
• Evidence-based theory clearly linked to application in the ward with case studies throughout
• Procedure and equipment guidelines included, with specific recommendations for practice
• Accessible format designed for easy reading and reference
• Highly illustrated with relevant diagrams and pictures
- Chapter 1 The Evolution of Neonatal Care (David Field and Andy Leslie).
- Chapter 2 Obstetric Issues Relating to Neonatal Care Belinda Ackerman and Sonji Clarke).
- Chapter 3 Normal Adaptation to the Post-Natal Environment (Maggie Meeks and Maggie Hallsworth).
- Chapter 4 The Neonatal Environment and Care of Families (Kevin Hugill, with contributions from ADAPT).
- Chapter 5 The Small Baby (Maggie Meeks and Jonathan Cusack).
- Chapter 6 Thermoregulation (Maggie Hallsworth)
- Chapter 7 Fluids, Electrolytes and Glucose (Elaine Boyle)
- Chapter 8 Respiratory Diffi culties and Ventilatory Support (Venkatesh Kairamkonda).
- Chapter 9 Neonatal Surgery (Shawqui Nour and Maggie Hallsworth).
- Chapter 10 Congenital Conditions (Mandy Barry).
- Chapter 11 Nursing Newborn Babies with Congenital Heart Disease (Frances Bu’Lock, Andrew Currie and VenkateshKairamkonda).
- Chapter 12 Nutrition of the Term and Preterm Infant (Lucy Hawkes and Michelle Paterson).
- Chapter 13 Neonatal Stabilisation and Transport (Robert Bomont and Linda Rafael).
- Chapter 14 Neonatal Neurology (Eleri Adams and Marie Hubbard).
- Chapter 15 The Dying Infant (Zoe Wilkes and Maggie Hallsworth).
- Chapter 16 Infection in the Term and Preterm Infant (Alison Bedford Russell).
- Chapter 17 Haematology in the Term and Preterm Neonate (Tim Watts, Karissa Jowaheer and Ping Corcoran).
- Chapter 18 Developmental Care (Inga Warren).
- Chapter 19 Neonatal Ethics (John Wyatt).
- Chapter 20 Discharge Planning and the Community Outreach Service (Sylvia Gomes).
Maggie Meeks is a Consultant Neonataologist at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust who leads on education for the neonatal service
Maggie Hallsworth is a practice development nurse at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust who has extensive experience of clincial neonatal nursing and teaching