Cattle play a fundamental role in animal agriculture throughout the world. They not only provide us with a vital food source, but they also provide us with fertilizer and fuel. Keeping reproduction levels at an optimum level is therefore essential, but this is often a complicated process, especially with modern, high yielding cows.
Written in a practical and user-friendly style, this book aims to help the reader understand cattle reproduction by explaining the underlying physiology of the reproductive process and the role and importance of pharmacology and technology, and showing how management techniques can improve reproductive efficiency.
This edition includes:
- Recent research findings on the physiology of the oestrous cycle and its control;
- New techniques for monitoring and manipulating reproduction, including pregnancy diagnosis and embryo transfer;
- Advice on identifying common infertility problems and how to prevent and treat them.
Reproduction Cattle 3e is essential reading for veterinary and agricultural students, as well as veterinarians and farmers involved in cattle reproduction.
Table of contents
1. Reproductive Efficiency in Cattle Production.
3. Bull Fertility.
4. The Ovarian Cycle.
5. Fertilization, Conception and Pregnancy.
6. Parturition and Lactation.
7. The Postpartum Period.
8. Oestrous Behaviour and Its Detection.
9. Artificial Control of the Oestrous Cycle.
10. Artificial Insemination.
11. Pregnancy Diagnosis.
12. Reproductive Problems.
13. Reproductive Biotechnologies.
14. Reproductive Management.
15. Selection for Breeding.