This third edition of the bestseller Handbook of Laboratory Animal Management & Welfare has been fully revised and updated making it an essential handbook for all those working with animals under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act, 1986. Designed to be a practical reference book, it covers every area of animal care and aims to improve animal welfare through best practice and refinement of techniques. It covers principles applicable to all species, including training of licensees, the regulatory framework, euthanasia, management of pain and stress, anaesthesia and surgery, and also includes specific sections on biology and husbandry.
Table of contents
1. Education and training for the licence holder.
2. The regulatory framework.
3. Health, safety and security.
4. Pain, stress and humane end points.
5. Humane methods of killing.
6. Introduction to laboratory animal husbandry.
7. Anaesthesia of laboratory animals.
8. Management of pain, suffering, distress and lasting harm.
9. Conduct of minor procedures.
10. Introduction to surgery and suturing.
11. The project licence application.
12. Small laboratory animals.
13. Genetically modified animals and harmful mutants.
16. The larger domestic species.
19. Wild animals.