The standard for clinical supervision.
Fundamentals of Clinical Supervision, 5/e offers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary presentation that makes it the most highly cited publication in the field. Addressing essential topics for supervisors, it has earned a reputation as an authoritative resource for anyone seeking certification as an Approved Clinical Supervisor. Emphasizing central themes from a variety of mental health professions, the book covers supervision models, supervision modalities, administrative issues and professional concerns. This Fifth Edition covers the latest research, more on second-generation models of supervision, a new section on triadic supervision, and the latest on technology. Its one-of-a-kind supervision toolkit, scholarly approach, and topic coverage sets the book apart.
- Enjoys an exceptional reputation as the leading supervision book—making it the most cited book on supervision.
- Covers the essential topics a supervisor needs to know—including the major models of supervision, legal and ethical issues, administrative issues, and different supervision modalities.
- Contains all content areas required for certification as an Approved Clinical Supervisor—offering a complete review (and informed appraisals) of all leading models, interventions, and research.
- Provides a scholarly balance and interdisciplinary approach—with contributions from psychology, counseling, marriage and family therapy, and social work and an emphasis on supervision's central themes.
- Offers strong coverage of international considerations—including a more global view and key contributions from authors in other countries.
- Offers exceptional coverage of diversity—discussing areas of multicultural competence and new and pertinent research in supervision.
- Includes a one-of-a-kind supervision toolkit—with sample contracts, supervision agreements, descriptive criteria for professional performance, inventories and more!
New to this Edition
This Fifth Edition covers the latest research, more on second-generation models of supervision, a new section on triadic supervision, and the latest on technology.
- New coverage of "second-generation" models of supervision complete with a conceptual map tying them to the first generation models.
- New theoretical and empirical information across all topics from all relevant mental health fields.
- Updated Chapteron multicultural supervision reflects the growing sophistication within the mental health disciplines around cultural issues.
- A new section on triadic supervision is presented as a subset of individual supervision.
- New sections on technology show how it can assist supervision for both individuals and groups.
- More on counseling supervisees on professional issues such as competence and remediation.
- New tools in the Supervisor's Toolbox including an updated supervision contract and updated ethical standards.
Table of Contents
PART I Introduction and General Approaches to Supervision 1
Chapter1 Introduction to Clinical Supervision 2
Chapter2 Supervision Models 21
PART II Dimensions of the Supervision Relationship 63
Chapter3 Processes and Issues of the Supervisory Triad and Dyad 64
Chapter4 Supervisee and Supervisor Factors Affecting the Relationship 86
Chapter5 Multicultural Supervision 107
PART III The Delivery of Clinical Supervision 131
Chapter6 Organizing the Supervision Experience 132
Chapter7 Individual Supervision 153
Chapter8 Group Supervision 180
Chapter9 Live Supervision 200
PART IV Professional Responsibilities of Clinical Supervisors 221
Chapter10 Evaluation 222
Chapter11 Ethical and Legal Foundations for Supervision Practice 252
PART V Promoting the Specialty of Clinical Supervision Through Training and Research 281
Chapter12 Teaching and Researching Supervision 282
The Supervisor’s Toolbox 304