• SECTION I: THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM o Chapter 1: Organization of the Central Nervous System o Chapter 2: Structural and Functional Organization of the Central Nervous System o Chapter 3: Vasculature of the Central Nervous System and the Cerebrospinal Fluid • SECTION II: SENSORY SYSTEMS o Chapter 4: Somatic Sensation: Spinal Mechanosensory Systems o Chapter 5: Somatic Sensation: Spinal Systems for Pain, Temperature, and Itch o Chapter 6: Somatic Sensation: Trigeminal and Viscerosensory Systems o Chapter 7: The Visual System o Chapter 8: The Auditory System o Chapter 9: Chemical Senses: Taste and Smell • SECTION III: MOTOR SYSTEMS o Chapter 10: Descending Motor Pathways and the Motor Function of the Spinal Cord o Chapter 11: Cranial Nerve Motor Nuclei and Brain Stem Motor Functions o Chapter 12: The Vestibular System and Eye Movements o Chapter 13: The Cerebellum o Chapter 14: The Basal Ganglia • SECTION IV: INTEGRATIVE SYSTEMS o Chapter 15: The Hypothalamus and Regulation of Bodily Functions o Chapter 16: The Limbic System and Cerebral Circuits for Reward, Emotions, and Memory • SECTION V: ATLAS o Atlas I: Surface Topography of the Central Nervous System o Atlas II: Myelin-Stained Sections Through the Central Nervous System o Glossary • Answers to Clinical Cases
A regional and functional approach to learning human neuroanatomy – enhanced by additional full-color illustrations and a new online learning center
Neuroanatomy:Text and Atlas covers neuroanatomy from both a functional and regional perspective to provide an understanding of how the components of the central nervous system work together to sense the world around us, regulate body systems, and produce behavior. This trusted text thoroughly covers the sensory, motor, and integrative skills of the brains and presents an overview of the function in relation to structure and the locations of the major pathways and neuronal integrative regions.
Neuroanatomy:Text and Atlas also teaches readers how to interpret the new wealth of human brain images by developing an understanding of the anatomical localization of brain function. The authoritative core content of myelin-stained histological sections is enhanced by informative line illustrations, angiography, and brain views produced by MRI, and other imaging technologies.
- Revised and updated to reflect advances in clinical neuroanatomy and neural science
- Full-color illustrations enrich the text, including many new to this edition
- Chapters begin with a clinical case to illustrate the connections and functions of the key material
- Chapters end with a series of multiple-choice review questions
- NEW Online learning center will display brain views produced by MRI and PET
- Increases knowledge of the regional and functional organization of the spinal cord and brain, one system at a time
- Provides thorough coverage of the sensory, motor, and integrative systems of the brain, together with cerebral vasculature
- Promotes understanding of the complex details of neuroanatomy needed for accurate interpretation of radiological image
- Comprehensive atlas provides key views of the surface anatomy of the central nervous systems and photographs of myelin-stained sections in three anatomical planes
- Includes learning aids such as clinical topics, boxes, chapter summaries, and a Glossary of key terms and structures
John Martin, PhD is affiliated with City College of New York.