Electrocardiography is a transthoracic recording over a period of time. Electrical activity is detected and recorded via electrodes attached to the outer surface of the skin. The recording produced by this noninvasive procedure is termed as electrocardiogram. ECGs are used to measure the rate and regularity of heartbeats as well as the size and position of the chambers, the presence of any damage to the heart, and the effects of drugs or devices used to regulate the heart.
Clinical Electrocardiography is the clearest and most accessible guide available to the application and interpretation of the ECG in clinical practice. The book proceeds from the belief that ECG patterns should not be memorized, but rather must be understood based on how they originate; it is only by achieving this level of understanding that clinicians can make the most informed diagnoses and thus manage patient care with complete confidence. This fully revised 5th edition:
- Gives clear information about the correct diagnoses of different heart diseases based on ECG alterations.
- Presents an exceedingly clear and linear approach to understanding the application and interpretation of the ECG in clinical practice.
- Explains the electrical activity of the heart and basic electrocardiographic principals.
- Offers guidance on normal ECG patterns and the changes various heart diseases produce in ECG morphology
- Provides a practical, deductive approach to the diagnosis of arrhythmias - one of the most challenging tasks for many clinicians
- Summarizes current knowledge of the clinical implication of rhythmic disturbances.
Antoni Bayés de Luna is Emeritus Professor of Cardiology, Autonomous University of Barcelona. Senior Investigator, Research Institute Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, IIB-Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain.
Miquel Fiol-Sala is Scientific Director of the Health Research Institute of the Balearic Islands. Former Director of the Coronary Care Unit, Son Espases University Hospital. Associate professor at the University of the Balearic Islands. Spain
Antoni Bayés-Genís is Head of the Heart Institute, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona; Full professor, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Adrián Baranchuk is Professor of Medicine at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and serves as President Elect of the Interamerican Society of Cardiology (SIAC)