We listened to multiple instructor and student focus groups, class testers, survey respondents, current adopters and through more than 400 peer reviews. Contemporary Medical-Surgical Nursing, Second Edition, by Rick Daniels and Leslie Nicoll is an exciting new offering of this comprehensive, concept based text, which is created for instructors and students to address the adult health concepts that supports the most current holistic nursing practice and helps to bridge the gap from classroom to practice. All of this is delivered through a caring approach to the content, a central theme to foster quality nursing care for generations to come. Contemporary Medical-Surgical Nursing, Second Edition is a thoroughly researched and tested book and package focused on meeting the needs of today's nursing student.
New to this Edition
- An increased focus on concept based additions: A chapter opening figure that includes an inductive caption and figure captions throughout that promote critical thinking skills and encourage the student to link important concepts.
- Evidence based research and references which present the most current topics in a cogent yet thorough presentation.
- Three times the number of case studies/nursing care plans were added to the book by including them in every clinical chapter and appear in one of two formats: nursing care plans and concept maps. Both formats include patient examples where pertinent history, physical assessment data, and laboratory findings emphasize the nursing role in the clinical setting. Both engage the reader by humanizing the material and helping readers continue to develop critical thinking skills. In addition, the case study concept map challenges the learner to create a concept map at the end of the presented case.
- Outstanding pedagogical features that provide real world applications and additional opportunities to enhance critical thinking abilities.
- A refined holistic nursing approach which has the nurse as the primary focus, and the importance of collaborative care is stressed.
- Gerontologic Considerations: This is a new feature that highlights information that applies specifically to the care of the older adult patient.
Table of Contents
UNIT I: NURSING AND THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
1. The Health Care System and Contemporary Nursing.
2. Clinical Decision-Making and Evidence Based Practice, Research, and Technology.
3. Health Education & Promotion.
4. Culturally Sensitive Care.
5. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health Care (including chemical dependency).
6. Nursing of Adults across the Lifespan.
7. Palliative Care.
UNIT II: SUPPORTIVE PATIENT CARE.
8. Health Assessment.
9. Genetics and the Multiple Determinants of Health.
10. Stress, Coping, and Adaptation.
11. Inflammation and Infection Management.
12. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances.
13. Infusion Therapy.
14. Complementary and Alternative Therapies.
15. Cancer Management.
16. Pain management.
17. Pharmacology: Nursing Management.
Unit III: SETTINGS FOR NURSING CARE.
18. Health Care Agencies.
19. Critical Care.
UNIT IV: PERIOPERATIVE PATIENT CARE.
20. Preoperative Nursing Management.
21. Intraoperative Nursing Management.
22. Postoperative Nursing Management.
UNIT V: ALTERATIONS IN CARDIOVASCULAR AND HEMATOLOGIC FUNCTION.
23. Assessment of Cardiovascular and Hematologic Function.
24. Coronary Artery Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
25. Heart Failure and Inflammatory Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
26. Arrhythmias: Nursing Management.
27. Vascular Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
28. Hypertension: Nursing Management.
29. Hematologic Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT VI: ALTERATIONS IN RESPIRATORY FUNCTION.
30. Assessment of Respiratory Function.
31. Upper Airway Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
32. Lower Airway Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
33. Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Nursing Management.
UNIT VII: ALTERATIONS IN NEUROLOGIC FUNCTION.
34. Assessment of Neurologic Function.
35. Dysfunction of the CNS: The Brain: Nursing Management.
36. Dysfunction of the CNS: The Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nervous System: Nursing Management.
37. Degenerative Neurological Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT VIII: ALTERATIONS IN SENSORY FUNCTION.
38. Assessment of Sensory Function.
39. Visual Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
40. Auditory Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT IX: ALTERATIONS IN IMMUNOLOGIC FUNCTION.
41. Assessment of Immunologic Function.
42. Immunodeficiency and HIV Infection/AIDS: Nursing Management.
43. Allergic Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT X: ALTERATIONS IN INTEGUMENTARY FUNCTION.
44. Assessment of Integumentary Function.
45. Dermatologic Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
46. Burns: Nursing Management.
UNIT XI: ALTERATIONS IN GASTROINTESTINAL FUNCTION.
47. Assessment of Gastrointestinal Function.
48. Nutrition, Malnutrition, and Obesity: Nursing Management.
49. Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
50. Lower Gastrointestinal Tract Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
51. Hepatic, Biliary Tract, and Pancreatic Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT XII: ALTERATIONS IN URINARY FUNCTION.
52. Assessment of Urinary Function.
53. Urinary Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
54. Renal Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT XIII: ALTERATIONS IN ENDOCRINE FUNCTION.
55. Assessment of Endocrine Function.
56. Endocrine Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
57. Diabetes Mellitus: Nursing Management.
UNIT XIV: ALTERATIONS IN MUSCULOSKELETAL FUNCTION.
58. Assessment of Musculoskeletal Function.
59. Musculoskeletal Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
60. Musculoskeletal Trauma: Nursing Management.
UNIT XV: ALTERATIONS IN REPRODUCTIVE FUNCTION.
61. Assessment of Reproductive Function.
62. Female Reproductive Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
63. Breast Alterations: Nursing Management.
64. Male Reproductive Dysfunction: Nursing Management.
UNIT XVI: SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS IN MEDICAL AND SURGICAL NURSING.
65. Multi-System Failure.
66. Mass Casualty Care.
About the Author
Rick Daniels, RN, COL, Ph.D. administers clinical practicum
courses in acute and critical care nursing arenas and is currently an associate
professor with tenure at Oregon Health and Sciences University, School of Nursing.
He has taught nursing in associate, baccalaureate and graduate schools, as well
as RN degree completion programs. In addition, he has taught many adult health
and illness topics at seminars and has presented posters for national organizations
(e.g., AORN, NLN Educators Conference). Dr. Daniels' clinical practice is kept
current by practicing nursing as a Colonel in the Oregon Army National Guard.
He also serves as the Deputy State Commander of Oregon under the supervision
of the Oregon State Surgeon. Dr. Daniels' research is primarily associated with
the concept of health promotion and he has received three successive fundings
with the Department of the Army to implement health promotion programs with
National Guardsmen. Dr. Daniels publishes in nursing journals and holds membership
in numerous professional nursing organizations, such as Sigma Theta Tau and
the American Nurses Association. He is the author of several books, including
NURSING FUNDAMENTALS 2E, DELMAR'S GUIDE TO LABORATORY AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTS 2E,
and Manual OF LAB AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTS 2E. Dr. Daniels obtained a Bachelor of
Science Degree in Nursing from the University of Oregon Nursing School, a Master
of Science Degree in Nursing from the University of San Diego and a Doctor of
Philosophy Degree in Nursing from the University of Texas in Austin. He also
presents across the country on various topics to nurse educators at Cengage
Learning's Nursing Forums.
Leslie H. Nicoll PhD, MBA, RN, BC: Principal and Owner, Maine Desk, LLC, Portland, ME