Preface to the Fifth Edition
1. Chemical Neurotransmission
2. Transporters, Receptors and Enzymes as Targets of Psychopharmacological Drug Action
3. Ion Channels as Targets of Psychopharmacological Drug Action
4. Psychosis, Schizophrenia and the Neurotransmitter Networks Dopamine, Serotonin and Glutamate
5. Targeting Dopamine and Serotonin Receptors for Psychosis, Mood and Beyond: So-Called 'Antipsychotics'
6. Mood Disorders and the Neurotransmitter Networks Norepinephrine and Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (Gaba)
7. Treatments for Mood Disorders: So-Called 'Antidepressants' and 'Mood Stabilizers'
8. Anxiety, Trauma and Treatment
9. Chronic Pain and its Treatment
10. Disorders of Sleep and Wakefulness and their Treatment: Neurotransmitter Networks for Histamine and Orexin
11. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and its Treatment
12. Dementia: Causes, Symptomatic Treatments and the Neurotransmitter Network Acetylcholine
13. Impulsivity, Compulsivity and Addiction
Suggested Reading and Selected References
The eagerly anticipated fifth edition of Dr Stahl's essential textbook of psychopharmacology is here! Using Dr Stahl's unique 'visual language', the book is the single most readable source of information on disease and drug mechanisms for all students and mental health professionals seeking to understand and utilize current therapeutics, and to anticipate the future for novel medications. The new edition includes over 500 new or refreshed figures, an intuitive color scheme, 14 new uses for older drugs and 18 brand new drugs, coverage of Parkinson's Disease Psychosis, behavioural symptoms of dementia, and mixed features in major depressive episodes, and expanded information on the medical uses of cannabis and hallucinogen assisted psychotherapy. This product combines the fifth edition of the textbook with a one-year subscription to www.stahlonline.org, providing access to the full range of Dr Stahl's content. The one-year subscription is activated via a code provided with the printed book.
- Thoroughly updated and extensively revised for the fifth edition, taking account of developments in the field
- Evidence-based principles for the use of psychopharmacologic drugs are clearly explained and developed
- Features the author's highly-praised writing style with clear, easy-to-follow illustrations
- Highly illustrated throughout with over 500 brand new or refreshed eye-catching, clear, color diagrams
- Carefully selected 'suggested reading' directs the reader to the most relevant sources for further information on a particular topic
- All chapters have been restructured to reflect Neuroscience based Nomenclature, that is, drugs named for their mechanism of action rather than use
- Indispensable for all students and professionals in mental health
Stephen M. Stahl, University of California, San Diego
Stephen M Stahl, MD, PhD is Professor of Psychiatry and Neuroscience at UC Riverside and at UC San Diego, Honorary Visiting Senior Fellow, University of Cambridge, UK, and Chairman of the Neuroscience Education Institute, Carlsbad.